Chapter 20: Unraveling

"I'm sorry to say this Mr. Gupta, but her chances don't look so good." 

Shyam stared blankly at the doctor. It was early Saturday morning in Lilavati Hospital, and while many of the patients were still in deep slumber, the doctors were bustling around in preparation for the upcoming day. However, in the cabin of Dr. Awasti, the atmosphere was far from chirpy.

"I don't understand," Shyam admitted. "You said a week ago there were good chances and now you are telling me that there aren't?"

"A week ago, I was expecting Garima to respond to chemotherapy. But she isn't. And given how far the cancer has spread, I can't guarantee if she will even make it to the end of the month."

Shyam felt his heart sink. Logically speaking, he knew he would hear something of this sort the day his mother was admitted, albeit forcefully. He even had prepared himself for it – theoretically that is. However, hearing it from the doctor was a whole other thing. It hit him in places that he assumed were numb by now.

"So, is that it?" he asked, trying to make sense of the new situation. "Is this how it ends?"

Dr. Awasti let out a sigh. "I have known you for a long time Shyam and I understand your feelings.... But you have to keep strong. Our next plan is surgery. We are going to manually clean up as much as we can."

"And the what are the chances the surgery will be successful?"

"Sixty-percent."

Shyam's shoulders fell in defeat. He was given an impossible choice once again.

"I can't make you any promises," Dr. Awasti said, seeming to understand his predicament. "But I will say that I have seen patients make it through with chances lower than your mother. And it's because they have the will to fight."

"And my mother doesn't?"

Dr. Awasti surveyed him closely for a minute before replying. "I think you know the answer to that better than me. My job is to fix her body... it's up to you to do the rest."

Shyam nodded, having no difficulty whatsoever in understanding what he was being told. So thanking Dr. Awasti, he left worriedly.

The truth was his mother was beyond saving. She had lost the will to live the day his father walked away without looking back. Ever since then, she was nothing but an empty shell.

Of course, it took him many years to realize that. In the early days, he had tried –naively–  to talk some sense into her, to make her see the world beyond Shashi Joshi; but it was all pointless. She was so far gone that even his attempts appeared foolish.

And that was exactly how Shyam felt as he debated on his next course of action now. What was the point of trying to talk to his mother, when in reality, there was nothing left to be exchanged between them?

It was with such a heavy heart, that he walked into his mother's ward.

"Shyam," Garima greeted cheerfully. "How come you are here so early?"

"I had a meeting with the doctor," he answered, curtly.

Garima nodded, and patted the stool beside her. "Come sit. Meeti just went to get coffee... I don't know what has gotten into that girl! Can you believe this is the second time she stayed here all night?! If she keeps doing that, you will have to book two rooms here instead of one."

She paused, expecting him to laugh or defend his sister like he usually did. However, he did neither.

Shyam stared determinedly at the floor, resentment coursing through him at the mention of his sister. It was hard to miss the sudden changes in her, the biggest of them being her concern for Garima. However, far from being relieved to finally see the estranged duo reconcile, he feared the outcome. Khushi was ignorant to what was coming and only he knew how much it was going to cost her; after all, he was exactly in her shoes at one point of time.