Chapter 28: Strange New Footings

"Please keep in mind that no more than two guests are allowed to come to the ceremony. We have limited seating."

Khushi nodded to the receptionist, an aging lady who worked at the University of Delhi longer than any professor had. It was both impressive and pitiful, for there was nothing more boring than answering phone calls all day. Or so Khushi thought.

It was a bright Saturday morning in Delhi, the weather being exceptionally kind to the city's inhabitants. Only for Khushi, who seldom found time to enjoy the sun between work and the hospital, the day was the same as any other. She was running a few errands, the first one being picking up her graduation things for the upcoming ceremony.

She had just exited the front office, stuffing the package she received in her purse, when she bumped head long into someone.

"Ouch!" she groaned, rubbing her forehead. "Can't you see where-"

She broke off upon catching sight of the person in question. Dressed in a baby pink cotton salwar kameez, Payal Sharma stared back at her with astonished eyes.

"Ohh..." Khushi finished, awkwardly.

An uncomfortable silence settled between the two. It was common knowledge at FMS that neither of them got along; in fact, stories of their fights were almost legendary. However, at that moment all Khushi felt was foolishness. Why were they holding on to petty vendettas when life was so short? Look at her mother for instance.

"Excuse me," Payal finally said, bending down to pick up her fallen things.

Khushi automatically reached out to help.

"It's fine," Payal muttered. "I will pick it up."

Khushi didn't pay any heed to her. She continued to collect the numerous files and swiftly handed them back to a bewildered Payal.

"Erm thanks," she said, a line appearing on her forehead. It was obvious she wasn't expecting such a gesture from her. 

Khushi nodded, not knowing what to say. It was when Payal was almost through the door of the front office that she spoke:

"Payal?"

She glanced back.

"Wanna grab coffee?"

"C-coffee?" she repeated. "With you?"

Khushi nodded, patient.

Payal didn't answer. It appeared that her shock was beyond words.

"It's okay if you can't," Khushi said when the silence stretched on for too long. "I will get going."

"No, wait!" Payal called, snapping out of her reverie. "Give me a minute, okay? I have to drop off these files."

And with that she disappeared into the depths of the office, returning a few seconds later with her wallet. Together they set out in silence, walking to the cafe just across from campus.

"So... what's wrong?" Payal asked as soon as they seated themselves in a small corner of the coffee shop.

Khushi set down her cup, trying to tune out a group of students nearby, all laughing at some internal joke. It reminded her sorely of older and brighter days.

"Nothing is wrong," she said, letting out a sigh. "I just thought we should solve our differences... we are graduating in a month, it doesn't make sense to hang on to trivial problems."

"Is that what you want from me? Forgiveness?"

"I don't want anything from you Payal," she replied, confused at her direct tone.