Chapter 40: Cupid is Painted Blind

"Almost there... just two more steps."

Anjali felt her determination slip as sharp pain spread from her stiff muscles. "I can't," she heaved, letting her knees buckle under the weight of her body.

"No," Shyam protested. "Just one more!"

She gulped, trying to maintain her grip on the crutches holding her up. "No... I-"

"Come on, one step!"

There was no point. Even before she could completely lift her right leg off the floor, her sweaty hands gave away and all too soon, she was falling to the ground. She yelped, her heart thudding, when she felt his arms enfold around her, catching her just in time.

"I got you," he murmured, hugging her close.

Anjali felt tears pool in her eyes.

It was all over; she was never going to walk again. Ever.

"It's okay," Shyam said, somehow understanding her despair. "It's only been three days."

She bit her lip, trying hopelessly to rein in her frustration.

It had been almost a whole week since her cast was removed, a whole month later than it should have been, and she was yet to stand on two feet without support. While the doctor wrote her troubles off as simple weakness and prescribed daunting exercises as such, Anjali was sure it was something much more. With each passing day, her hope of finally being free of a wheelchair only seemed to dim.

Of course, to Shyam and not to mention her brothers, her increasing anguish appeared to only raise their hopes. Without fail, all of them made sure she completed her daily dose of workout. Today, a sunny Tuesday afternoon in Shantivaan, it was Shyam's turn. 

"It's been a week," she muttered, leaning away from his comforting embrace.

He cupped her face. "Anj-"

She shrank from his touch, not wanting to hear his assurances. In fact, she didn't want to hear anything.

"Look at me," he ordered, his hands tightening around her waist, locking her in his arms.

She adamantly kept her eyes on the floor.

"I know you think you can never walk again, but it's only been three days. You went through a major surgery – your body needs time to recover from something like that, so please stop thinking about the worst."

"Easy for you to say." Anjali didn't even know when the words snapped out of her.

He paused. "I know, but-"

"But what?! Do you think I'm blind or something? Do you think I can't see that you are giving me false hope, just like Bhai and the stupid doctor, when I know I'm never going-"

"You don't know-"

"DAMN IT SHYAM!" she bellowed, loosing what little patience she had left. "Don't you get it?! I'm done! Nothing is going to fix this!"

He didn't react.

"It's been three months! Three whole months since I walked! First, they said the bone healed all wrong so they broke it like it was nothing more than a stick. Now they are saying the muscles are too weak. And tomorrow they are going to say the muscles are okay, but something else is wrong. Don't you see the pattern? I'm never going to get better!"

Shyam was quiet.

"So, just stop with the stupid motivational speeches, okay? They may work with your clients, but not with me. So, do us both a favor and- Let. Me. Go."