Chapter 6: Adamantly Steadfast

Khushi stood rooted to the floor as she stared at the stranger in front of her. She examined his face, trying to absorb the sharp contours of his cheeks, the mischievous glint in his unyielding brown eyes and the soft lips that were on hers only moments ago.

God, he was handsome.

There was no other way to describe him. Whether it was his broad shoulders adorning a copper colored suit or his lean figure that emanated a certain aura of toughness – In Lavanya's words, he was downright gorgeous.

"I know I am irresistible," he said, when the silence stretched on. "But you can stop staring."

Color rose to Khushi's cheeks – a first for her – as she hastily cleared her throat, trying to maintain what little dignity she had left. "Who the hell are you?!"

The man raised an eyebrow. "A birthday girl with an attitude? One would think after such a beautiful surprise, you would be at least humble."

She didn't miss the unnecessary emphasis on what were her words. "How dare you?! That was meant for-"

"Akash – the perfect boyfriend. I know. But I'm surprised to see my little brother so popular around girls... Last I checked he kept to himself mostly."

Khushi let out a gasp. "Your little brother?!"

"Surprised?" he asked. "Clearly you don't know anything about him."

Khushi was incredulous to say the least. She racked her brains, trying to recollect the mention of this strange brother, but all she found was one vague memory of Akash telling her how much his family disliked his interest in painting.

They don't think it's even a career forget letting me pursue it. My father was hell bent on it, and after him Bhai...

She had assumed this 'Bhai' he mentioned was some distant cousin who took over the family once their parents passed away in a horrific car accident for such was Akash's tone. Never did she think, in her wildest dreams that the person in question would be his own brother.

"Hello? Earth to birthday girl!"

Khushi looked at the stranger, seeing for the first time his similarities with Akash. Both the brothers appeared to be around the same height, with almost identical figures. However, while Akash had friendly face with what she had termed 'soulful eyes', his brother's held an odd sort of glint that made her chest squirm in the slightest of ways. It was as if he could reach through the barricades around her mind and see her – It was very unsettling.

"I'm happy to be the object of your fascination, but it also has a certain kind of risk associated with it. I am in no way responsible for coming into your dreams tonight."

Khushi snapped out of their thoughts, his words sparking irritation in her already perturbed mind.

"Oh please," she finally said. "That will never happen... even if the world was ending!"

"Really? Even after... you know, the kiss."

She was outraged. "How could you? How could you kiss your younger brother's girlfriend?!"

"Oh honey – let's not forget the juicy details. You kissed me."

"Don't call me honey! I thought you were Akash."

"Which makes me think you both never really kissed before," he replied coolly. "Because you couldn't tell it wasn't him until I turned on the lights."