Chapter 14: Damsel in Distress

"No Meeti, I'm not mad," Shyam was heard telling his sister one lazy afternoon in the Gupta Lawfirm. "We can visit Nanaji next month."

Then gently brushing away her gratitude, he bid her goodbye and hung up the phone.

Shyam didn't know how his sister did it – how easily she ignored everything around her and just worked. You could throw a tsunami her way and she would still manage to finish that one report she was supposed to.

It amazed him endlessly to see her dedication and at the same time, he couldn't help but wish he was somewhat like that too. His cases would have been a piece of cake and not to mention handling his mother.

"Hello."

He looked up to see Anjali walk into his cabin with a bright smile. Dressed in a light green chiffon kurti, she as always looked simply breathtaking. And before he knew it, a grin was plastered on Shyam's face.

"You seem happy," she commented, sitting down across him.

"Well so do you."

"I have a reason to, you don't."

He agreed, but had no plans whatsoever to accept it. "Well, today was a good day. I got work done, Meeti – thankfully – turned down Nanaji's request for a visit-"

"Let me guess," she interrupted. "Khushi has work to do."

Shyam paused, catching on to her sarcastic tone. "Is there a joke I'm missing?"

"I don't know. Haven't you noticed how much work she does? And more than that, don't you find it strange?"

He laughed. "Nope. I will find it weird if Meeti doesn't have work to do."

A line appeared on her forehead. "Has Khushi always been like this? I mean, Akash always said she was the smartest person in their class, but I didn't know she was a workaholic."

Shyam shrugged. "That's how she is. She likes to keep herself busy."

Anjali appeared to have noted his downcast gaze, for she quickly retraced her steps out of the murky conversation. "I guess it's a good thing. Bhai is pretty much the same!"

"So I have heard," Shyam answered, glad for the change of topic. Even though he trusted Anjali, he knew she was miles away from knowing the secret of his family. It was just too miserable for her. "But Meeti doesn't seem to agree."

She was surprised. "Really? Now that is news. I always thought both Khushi and Bhai would get along amazingly well."

"They get along alright. The fact that AR Designs is still in one piece is proof of that."

"How come?"

"Meeti's anger is... well, bad."

Anjali chuckled in response. "I can see that, strangely. But I always wondered – why do you call her 'Meeti' then?"

A fond smile spread across his face. "Because she used to be obsessed with jalebis! My mom literally had to hide them when we were kids, just to save Khushi from devouring it all. Ever since then, I started calling her Meeti... for her sweet tooth."

She smiled. "In her defense, jalebis do taste good."

"Do they? I never really liked them much."

"What?! They are soo good! Especially when they are warm and soft..."

Shyam watched her lick her lips, relishing the taste of absent jalebis in her mouth. "And now I get why you and Meeti get along."