Chapter 33: Alone

The room froze as everyone held their breaths, waiting for the verdict they all knew, but didn't want to accept.

"Time of death," Dr. Awasti said desolately. "Ten forty-three a.m."

No.

No, this isn't happening. This can't be happening.

Khushi could almost hear the screams of her conscious, begging her to stop the nurses from unplugging the machines, to request the doctor to try one more time. Only, she couldn't move. She had lost complete control of her body.

"I'm sorry," Dr. Awasti said, approaching her apologetically. "We tried-"

Khushi didn't hear a word. An eerie silence settled in her ears, blocking everything around her. She felt like she was standing in an invisible bubble, separated from everyone and yet, tethered.

It was very odd.

"Ma'am?" called the nurse who until two minutes ago was trying to push her out of the room.

Khushi blinked. It seemed that Dr. Awasti was waiting for a reply, excepting her to miraculously understand the lame excuse she was being offered for the sudden turn of events. Did she even realize the gravity of her words, wondered Khushi.

If she did, she would never practice again. No doctor would.

"Miss Gupta?" Dr. Awasti said tenderly.

Khushi simply turned on her heel and walked away, not caring if it was rude. She had lost her respect for them the moment they succumbed to her mother's illness instead of fighting it, the moment they decided to blame fate instead of owning up to their mistakes.

So much for being doctors.

What use were their noble degrees if they couldn't even save one tiny little life?

She edged out into the open corridor, her feet propelling her to a white colored bench. It was then that they came; flooding like water in a dam and yet leaving her as parched as thorns.

The flashes.

"Meeti! How many times should I tell you not to eat so many jalebis?! You will get cavities sweety and then the dentist will have to remove all your teeth!"

That was one of the oldest memories she had of her mother. It was at a time when happiness was taken for granted, when there was nothing but an abundance of bliss; it was the only time she had truly considered Garima Nandini Gupta as her mother.

"Amma I am scared! There is something under my bed!"

Khushi snorted. She was eight at that time, or perhaps a little bit younger. She had been tempted by a classmate to watch a horror movie after school one day, a decision she had regretted for most of the following two months, that is until she owned up to her fear and told her mother. Garima had just smiled in answer, and gathered her up in her arms. She had never let her sleep alone again.

"Why so sad Meeti?"

"Bhaiyya is going Amma! Without me!"

"He is just going on a school trip sweety. He will come back soon."

"B-but who will get me ice cream now? Or save me from that stupid Pranav at school?"

"I'm here, no? We will go get ice cream every day until Bhaiyya comes back. And you can tell Pranav that if he teases you again, I will go talk to his mother. Okay?"

"But what if you leave too?"

"I will never, ever go anywhere Meeti. Amma will always stay with you."