Chapter 15: Unforeseen

Start from the beginning

Silence filled the room.

Khushi scrambled to make sense of Dr. Awasti's words, but no matter how much tried, she just couldn't understand what was so casually declared.

"T-that's not possible," she replied, shaking her head. "My mother was healthy, at least for the most part of her life! She was never sick like this before... I'm sure there is a misunderstanding somewhere. I mean, how could she have cancer without anyone knowing it?!"

"I told you this would happen."

Khushi stopped short, confused to hear the doctor's reply. However, she realized with a jolt that the answer wasn't even directed at her.

No, Dr. Awasti was staring straight at Shyam, who was seated rigidly in his chair.

"I told you the day you brought her in Mr. Gupta," she continued. "Garima needs to be admitted. She needs trained doctors and nurses to take care of her... but you didn't listen to me."

A line appeared on Khushi's forehead. When was her mother brought in for a check-up? Why wasn't she informed about it? And more importantly, why was there a weird familiarity between Dr. Awasti and her brother?

However, before she could process any of those questions, Shyam answered. "It wasn't my choice to make. Maa didn't want to be admitted."

It suddenly clicked – all of it. "You knew this?!" Khushi asked her brother, appalled. "You knew she had cancer?!"

Shyam turned to look at her, a pleading expression covering his eyes. "Yes. Now please-"

"How long have you-"

He didn't let her finish. "This is neither the time nor the place to talk about this."

Khushi glared at her brother. For the first time in her entire life, she didn't want to see him. Any reason he had for hiding the truth was not good enough to pacify her, because this time he had gone too far. He had betrayed her.

However, she knew better than to question him with a spectator in the room. So, she defiantly turned back to Dr. Awasti, who courteously busied herself in a file.

"So, what do we do now?" Khushi asked.

Dr. Awasti looked up. "Admitting her would be the first step. We will then start chemotherapy and see how she does."

"Fine," Khushi replied, not caring to see if her brother agreed with her. "Do it."

The doctor looked at Shyam expectantly.

"I'm her daughter," Khushi stressed. "She is my responsibility from now on."

Dr. Awasti didn't answer, not at all bothered by the authority in Khushi's voice. It was only when Shyam gave her a curt nod of approval that she complied.

"Alright," she said with a sigh. "We will start the treatment right away. Make sure you fill out the paper work at the reception."

"Thank you," Khushi answered, standing up. "I will stay in touch."

Then without giving another look, she stomped off from the office.  She was almost at the end of the hallway when Shyam caught up to her.

"Meeti, wait!"

She didn't stop, rage steadily building up inside her.

"Please!" he begged, grabbing her hand and forcing her to a halt. "Just...just hear me out, okay?"

"And what am I supposed to listen to?" Khushi burst. "What excuse can you possibly have for this?!"

"It's not like that. I know I was wrong, but-"