32

CHASE SEEMED TO BE exactly what was needed to brighten the mood. He started telling Milo and Luca about his unfortunate lack of a love life and the both of them seemed to just endure it, not looking invested enough to tell him to stop as they walked towards their tent. He was even helping carrying the stuff to set up another tent beside theirs, offering to take another bag from Milo to lighten the load. Mateo smiled happily at his friend, before glancing at Jay, who was drinking from his water bottle.

"So," he said," when are you going to make your move on Sahar?"

Jay choked on his water, coughing as he glanced at Mateo with wide eyes. "Jesus, never heard of tact?" He looked around then, relief flashing over his eyes when he saw Sahar walking in front of them, too busy chatting with Amir to have heard them. "What if she had heard us?"

"That would've been great," Mateo said," it seems like exactly the kind of push you'd need."

"Leave me alone, you lunatic, I don't want to be pushed to my death."

"Are you talking about your crush on Sahar?" Gabriela said as she started walking beside them.

"Did you tell her?" Jay accused Mateo, looking betrayed.

"There was no need," Gabriela said," it's glaringly obvious. You literally only stare at her."

Jay's lips parted, a few weak protests leaving it, but Mateo slapped him on the back with a bright smile, causing him to be choke again.

"As sharp as ever, Nena," he smiled," go and help this poor fool with me, will you? We are St Joseph's new power couple after all."

"Who decided that?" Jay frowned.

"It doesn't need to be decided," Mateo said," I just know."

Jay rolled his eyes, before a flush colored his cheeks. "I was actually planning on confessing this trip, but I don't know how yet."

"Tell her she's the most exquisite specimen you've ever seen," Mateo said," and then get on a knee."

"Do not do that," Gabriela said," just go and tell her you like her."

"That doesn't feel like enough," Jay said, running a hand stressedly through his hair," I don't know, I want to go and pluck flowers for her, but I know she'd be sad about the flowers dying, so I can't do that and -" He covered his face with his hands then and let out a quiet scream, before shaking his head.

"Did that help?" Mateo said.

"It actually did."

"Are you alright, Jay?" Sahar called out, eyes worried as she glanced at him.

"Yeah, no worries," Jay said, the words leaving his lips in a rush," I'm just fine, everything is chill over here, all good -"

Mateo elbowed him then and he stopped talking.

"You sure?" she said, gaze lingering on his. When he nodded, a soft laugh left her lips. "You really are funny, Jae-Soo."

He stopped in his tracks then, looking positively stunned at her use of his name. Mateo gave him a confused look, before his lips parted in an 'o' when he realized too.

"Ah, I'm sorry," Sahar said, a hand covering her lips," if you're uncomfortable I can say Jay, I just think your name is beautiful."

He breathed out and started walking again, his cheeks blooming like spring. "No, it's fine," he murmured," I don't mind when you say it."

"You mind when I do?" Mateo said, sounding offended.

"Let them have their moment, Mateo," Gabriela whispered at him, pulling him closer by his wrist.