Andante

"He must be on a completely different league, man." Zed said, nudging my elbow.

I nodded, "I can't wait to meet him. It's an honor to play with him."

I am the youngest member of this orchestra, only thirteen years old. But that was nothing compared to the soloist we will be playing with for one whole season. He is only fourteen years old, and has been a soloist since he was ten years old.

It is almost unheard of, for someone who doesn't yet have a name, to have such a prestigious life. Which makes him even more special. I've seen recordings of him, of course. I especially adore his rendition of the Tchaikovsky violin concerto.

Luckily, we will be playing this with him, at some point during the season. I can't wait to hear him play it live, I don't think I would be able to keep playing once he starts.

"You reckon he's some snob?" Zed asked, again nudging my elbow.

I shrug, "Well, who really knows? But I bet he'll be a cool person, just in general."

"Did you hear? After this season, he will be taking a break from touring. And he will be staying here. Can you imagine? The whole world at the tip of his fingers and he chooses to stay here." Zed said, wonder and curiosity in his voice.

I smile, "Well, what's so surprising about that? I happen to think we live in a beautiful city, filled with the best people."

Zed snorted, "Yeah, but I can't imagine we're more beautiful than... well, anywhere else he's been. And can you imagine? He's been touring all over the world since he was freaking ten!"

I nod, "Maybe he's just looking for something new. Maybe he's tired of everywhere else, and wants to experience something... normal? Regular?"

"Boring?" Zed joked, "Oh, hey look, there he is now."

I looked toward the concert hall's entrance. He had someone with him, an older gentleman who was wearing a black suit and bowtie.

"Reckon that's his butler or something?" Zed whispered.

I shrug, "It's as good a guess as any. It could just be his grandfather."

Zed snorted, "Oh, oh yeah, of course. Rich people, I can never wrap my head around them."

Our new conductor, Patrick, tapped his music stand with his baton and cleared his throat, "Alright everyone. We have the great honor of having the world-class soloist, B."

A round of applause filled the concert hall as B neared the stage. He whispered something to the gentleman, and the gentleman bowed in response. I suppose he was a butler or something like that.

He was carrying his violin case, so he wasn't really coming off as spoiled or anything like that. I take it as a good sign. He climbs on the stage and stops next to Patrick. He bowed first to Patrick and then turns to face us.

"I am B. I look forward to working with you." He said as he bowed toward us, as if we were above him somehow.

Some of us bowed in return, some just stared in awe, absolutely taken by his refined manners.

"You think it's a cultural thing? He was born in Taiwan but he was raised in Japan." Zed whispered, referring to the bow.

I shrug, "I think it's just how he is, man."

As B was taking out his violin and bow, infamous for having been from the eighteenth century – infamous because it was neither a Stradivarius nor was it a Guarneri, Patrick cleared his throat and said, "For this season, we are celebrating the works of the legendary composer Tchaikovsky. For our final show, we will play the Tchaikovsky violin concerto."