Clairvoyant

It has been three days since Lord Bennet's troops left town, dressed for war.

The town's people watched them march away, silently wishing they'd march back in after the war. For this small town, those young men have become as much a part of their community as those who grew up here.

It had almost felt like they weren't there to prepare for the war, and instead have chosen to live there for the simplicity, the serenity.

The old lady who owned the bakery across Edward Cotton's shop watched as his doors remained closed all those three days. She was baking loaves and his favorite pastries, and was now fanning two cakes she had baked for him.

The war came at such a bad time for the young luthier. The old lady sighed sadly as she thought about how Edward must have felt, having to watch Bennett march into war only three days before his birthday.

She was now spreading a simple cream filling on the pistachio cake, sprinkling some crushed pistachio over it before putting the vanilla cake on top. She then carefully covered the whole thing in a pistachio-flavored icing.

She was hoping Edward would open his doors for the day, even if just for a short while, so his neighbors can come greet him and give him gifts. It was barely day, the sun had just started covering the land with its rays. So she supposed there was enough time to wait.

She checked on the bread she was baking for Edward, as well as the ones that were to be put on display. She had baked two loaves of whole-wheat bread for him, thinking about how he neglects himself when he works. They looked ready to be taken out of the oven, so she did.

She checked on the various pastries she had made for him and saw that they too were ready. She took them out of the oven and started fanning them to cool them down. By the time Edward decides to open up his doors, all this would be ready for him.

"Ma? Baking so early?" the old lady's daughter and protégé said.

The old lady nodded, "It is a special day."

Her daughter sat next to her and started fanning as well, "Tarts and pudding, huh? Are these for Edward?"

"Indeed." the old lady took one tart and blew on it, "I suppose he cannot eat all of this." she said before putting the tart in her mouth, happy that it tasted just how it was supposed to.

"May I take one?" her daughter asked, already picking up a pudding.

"Yes, love." the old lady said, watching her daughter eat the pudding slowly.

"Delicious." her daughter declared, "I am sure he will love these."

"I wonder."

The daughter prepared a box for the cake and a paper bag for the pastries. She was wrapping the loaves of bread with cloth, "Will you bring these to him, or shall I?"

The old lady smiled, "I will do it, love."

A quiet sound came from across the street and the old lady turned to see that Edward was opening his door. She almost smiled, but didn't when she realized he wasn't opening the shop, he was simply stepping outside.

Her heart ached when he saw how much thinner Edward had gotten. There was no doubt in her mind that he hadn't eaten in all those three days. She wished she had checked up on him and made sure he ate. She then made a silent vow to do that starting today.

She quickly stepped outside and caught up to the luthier, who was walking much too slowly, as if every step was painful for him.

"Edward, dear." the old lady called out, reaching for him and tugging on his shirt.