Beauty and Love

"Beautiful Aphrodite, fairest of all, hear me." Cyanea said quietly as she got down on her knees. "I have found a fair maiden... No... A fair maiden has found me."

Cyanea bowed, her forehead on the floor, "She is the most beautiful maiden I have ever laid my eyes on. I mean no offense to you, beautiful Aphrodite. I am simply speaking the truth."

Thoughts of Xanthia creep into Cyanea's mind as she closes her eyes, "Beautiful Aphrodite, this fair maiden and I have only met seven moons ago... Yet... I cannot see a life without her. I want to be with her always."

"Speak, my child." an angelic voice rang in Cyanea's mind.

"She is called Xanthia. I suppose it is because of her golden hair, and her golden eyes. She is a golden girl. She is...perfect, dear goddess." Cyanea smiled, "Beautiful Aphrodite, I wish for her happiness."

"Dear child, what is it you truly wish for?"

Cyanea sighed, lifting her head and looking upon Aphrodite's altar, "Fairest goddess of all, I pray to you every day because I wish for beauty in my life. Now, I have found that beauty. I do not think I can ask for more."

"Cyanea, open your heart and speak the truth."

Cyanea bowed again, pressing her forehead on the ground, "Beautiful Aphrodite, I will keep praying to you every day. I will pray for love. I will pray for love in my life. I will pray for that love to be from her. I will not ask for the impossible, fair goddess. If the only love she can give is the love of a friend, I will take it."

"My child, you are one of my most loyal patronesses. I find I may owe you a favor or two. So, speak the truth. What do you wish?"

Cyanea bit down on her lip. She knew what she wanted, but she doesn't know if she has the heart to ask for it. She sighed, "I wish for her love. I wish to love her. I wish to be with her – for the rest of my days, fair goddess."

Cyanea waited for that angelic voice to answer her, but when a significant amount of time passed, she finally lifted her head.

"I will pray every day, beautiful Aphrodite. I swear this to you. Even if you choose not to grant my wish, I will continue to pray. I am thankful for simply having Xanthia in my life as she is now."

Cyanea stands up and bows, taking the jar she brought and pouring wine unto the feet of Aphrodite's statue. She gets down on one knee and kisses the statue, "That will be all for now."

She turns to leave when she felt an invisible force keep her frozen in place.

"I will do all I can, my dear child." the same angelic voice said.

Cyanea found she can move again so she turned toward the altar and bowed once more, "Thank you."

When she stepped out of the temple, the sun was at its highest in the sky. It was noon. Xanthia would be at the meadow. Cyanea knew this. She wondered if she should go there. She wondered if Xanthia would wait for her.

Cyanea lifts the jar and rests it on her hip, "Perhaps she will fancy some wine."

The walk was long but peaceful. The closer she got, the lighter she felt.

She was sure now, she was deeply infatuated with the maiden Xanthia. But she also understood that if she fell in love with another woman, she might be burned for being an impure soul.

She soon found herself in the meadow where they first met. Her eyes wander toward a specific tree, and she found Xanthia there, looking up at the sky. She smiled, her heart leaping with joy.

"Fair maiden," Cyanea started, setting down the jar on the grass, "I have come again."

Xanthia smiled, "Welcome, fair maiden. You have chosen to grace me with your presence."

Cyanea couldn't help but smile back, "I have chosen to have your presence grace mine."

"I have been waiting for you, fair maiden." Xanthia said, reaching for the jar, "Is this water?"

Cyanea hoped Xanthia couldn't see her blush, "Wine." was all she could say.

Xanthia smiled, "Oh, I love wine." She picks up the jar, "May I?"

Cyanea nodded, "Yes, please, help yourself."

Xanthia poured some on the ground first, as an offering to the gods. Then she lifts the lip of the jar to her own lips. Very slowly and carefully she tips the jar to pour the wine into her mouth.

There was something oddly fascinating about the way she was drinking the wine, Cyanea found herself staring. At first, she was watching the wine leave the jar and pour into Xanthia's mouth. And then her eyes started trailing down to Xanthia's neck, watching her throat move as she swallowed the wine.

Cyanea needed to look away before her eyes wandered any lower.

"This is good wine. Did you make this?" Xanthia said, putting the jar down and wiping her lips.

Cyanea shook her head, "My mother has a friend who makes wine. This wine is for offerings and merrymaking."

Xanthia smiled, "We are merrymaking?"

"In a way, I suppose." Cyanea said, taking the jar and drinking to hide her cheeks.

"You make me merry, fair maiden." Xanthia said softly, almost in a whisper.

Cyanea almost choked as she abruptly stops drinking. She puts the jar down and looks at Xanthia. She was afraid she had imagined what Xanthia just said.

"I hope I make you merry, as well." Xanthia then said a little louder, looking into Cyanea's eyes and smiling.

Cyanea felt her heart ache then.

How could she not ask for this maiden's love?