Watchful Eyes pt. 4

Brett and Eddy were sound asleep in each other's arms. Eddy had his head tucked in the crook of Brett's neck, and Brett's lips were just barely touching the top of Eddy's head. This was common in their nights.

Persephone smiled fondly, her heart glowing like the lilies in her hair, "Oh love. They are just so... pure. Their love is pure."

Hades nodded, letting his wife move on him, her lilies brushing his neck, "We made the right choice, love. To bless them the way we did."

Persephone nodded, "Yes. I believe that now."

"Do you remember that day, when Xanthia and Cyanea called for us? I did not know what to think when Aphrodite asked us to appear in front of them." Hades said, his hand finding his wife's.

Persephone interlocks their fingers as she nodded, "It seems only yesterday. I can never forget the favor they asked. I could never forget their courage."

"Indeed, it was something to behold." Hades commented, lifting their intertwined hands to his lips and kissing every single one of Persephone's knuckles.

"When they became Edward and Bennett, I was so afraid our blessing had been nullified by the universe." Persephone said, "They chose such different vessels, I was so afraid they would never find each other."

Hades nodded, remembering the day Xanthia entered into Edward's body, and realizing she had chosen a peasant life while Cyanea's vessel was born into nobility.

"I never thought I'd say this, but if it weren't for that senseless war, they never would have met." Persephone said, moving to stand up.

Hades let her go, watching her pick a pomegranate, "We do not know that for sure. Perhaps it could have been that Bennett found his way to the town and fell in love with Edward anyway."

Persephone sighed, "But what about that musician? Edward's first lover? He was so destroyed after that. I was afraid he would not open his heart to Bennett."

"Love always wins in the end. No matter how much humans close themselves off, love will always fight to have its way." Hades said, "I have seen it time and time again."

"That is true. And they have proven as much... more than anyone else had to." Persephone takes the pomegranate to Hades, and he splits it in two. She rests on his lap again. He feeds her the seeds.

"Do you remember when they were Brett and Eddy in the twenty-first century?" Hades asked, eating a few seeds himself.

Persephone couldn't help but laugh, "Oh yes. When they first met, I couldn't believe Xanthia would be so bold as to make Eddy see so much."

"I agree. She did not do that at all with Edward. If she had, Edward would not have fallen in love with that filthy musician." Hades said bitterly, quietly reveling in the thought of that soul rotting away in Tartarus.

"That is true. Perhaps that is why she did it with Eddy, to keep him from having to be heartbroken like that again. And I suppose it was their souls' intervention that made their lives so much happier." Persephone said, taking one half of the pomegranate and biting into it.

Hades watched his wife eat the fruit, the fruit that bound her to the underworld, "I suppose so. Brett and Eddy, they were so much fun to watch over."

Persephone nodded, "Indeed. They were so young when they met, it was so much fun to watch them grow into their feelings, slowly learning to accept it."

"I remember when they got married." Hades said, smiling with fondness.

"Aphrodite was there! She did not even tell us she would be going!" Persephone exclaimed, remembering their shock when they saw their fellow god in human form, disguising as Eddy's distant aunt.

"I suppose she wanted to bless their marriage. She did not get to do that with Edward and Bennett." Hades said, "We were all hoping Edward and Bennett would get a happy ending like that."

Persephone frowned, "We did. But there was nothing we could do."

"I am glad they lived a life where they did not have to fight so hard to be together." Hades said, biting into his half of the pomegranate.

"Yes, I am too. That was probably my favorite life of theirs, when they were Brett and Eddy in the twenty-first century." Persephone said, swallowing the last of the pomegranate.

"They have yet to complete this life, my love." Hades pointed out, "It might be even better."

Persephone shrugged, "Well, we shall find out."

Hades smiled, watching Brett and Eddy shift ever so slightly, still not moving apart even in their sleep, "And so we shall, my love."