Chapter 3 - Rebirth

A gasp was heard as Xiao Jingyue hastily opened her eyes. She glanced around the slightly familiar room in confusion. What happened?

She was sure that she had died with Li Jun in his arms. Then a horrifying thought came to mind. Did she not die? Did those bastards somehow manage to keep her alive so that they can once again make use of her and make her life a living hell? What about Li Jun? Did... did he die...?

As all these questions popped up into her head, she tried to get up from her bed when she looked at her small hands. She was alarmed. Why were her hands so tiny? Just what was going on?

Suddenly, her head started throbbing in pain, and distant memories were continuously pouring into her head. They were memories of when she was a young and naive child. She was on her way back from the Mountain Temple with her childhood friend, Bai Shiqi. They had gone to the Mountain Temple, which was famous across the Country of Xi. It was well known for a high chance of one's wishes to be fulfilled by the deities.

Since she would be reaching marriageable age soon, Jingyue had wanted to pray to Guanyin to allow her to meet the love of her life.

However, on her way back, she was met with a mishap. A group of cultivators had appeared and wanted to kidnap her for their leader. She was not able to determine which sect or clan they came from as they wore all black and each had used different cultivation skills.

But from their conversation, it seemed that they had somehow gotten the knowledge of her Pure Yin Physique which was only known to the clan leader and elders of the Xiao clan. She knew right away that their leader wanted to use her body to improve his cultivation level.

Indeed, the fame of the Mountain Temple did not let her down.

The Guanyin had heard her prayers. She did, in fact, meet the love of her life. Unfortunately, she had fed her eyes to the dogs as she had recognized the wrong man.

During the time Jingyue mocked herself, she could hear a creak from the door being hastily opened.

She slowly glanced away from her small hands and saw a familiar figure who Jingyue had not seen in the five years that she had gotten married. Her despicable father, Xiao Yang, was walking up to her with a worried face, "Yue'er, you're finally awake! How are you feeling? You've nearly scared your father to death when I heard the news from the guards."

Jingyue dully stared at her father, who was feeling distressed for herself. She internally gave a scornful laugh at herself. Yes, he was feeling distressed for her. Distressed that he had nearly lost the only precious thing that could help elevate their clan's standing. Distressed that without her, he would not be able to curry favors with the most influential sect in the Divine Continent, the Medicine Sect.

This father of hers really hid deeply. When she thought of the time when she thought her father was the most caring father in the world, she thought that ignorance was bliss.

"... Thankfully, the guards were able to delay them in time until reinforcements arrived." Xiao Yang was about to hold her hands to comfort her when Jingyue shifted it away from his reach. He was stunned as his daughter was very obedient and would never in the slightest do something against him.

A slight frown appeared between his brows at her actions, "Yue'er, what's wrong? Are you still feeling uncomfortable somewhere? I will call the physician to come and take a look at you."

"Fa-father... this daughter is fine. This daughter just feel a little bit tired and would like to have some more rest," Jingyue looked down and replied softly, hiding the hatred that she couldn't seem to suppress in her eyes.

Xiao Yang's frown smoothened out and gently patted her head, "Alright, have a good rest, my lovely princess. Father will visit you once again when you feel better. The servants will prepare you a bowl of congee, have it when you wake up."

Xiao Jingyue stiffly nodded her head before watching Xiao Yang walk out of her room.

Once the servants closed her bedroom door, the room resumed its quietness, and the gloom spread across the room. She looked down and bit her lip so hard that the skin broke. It was not a dream... It was not a dream. It was not a dream!

She has come back, really came back!

While gripping her blankets, hot tears of relief rolled down her face. The heavens have eyes. They did not turn a blind eye on her. She was able to travel back in time to her thirteenth-year old self. The time when tragedy has yet to transpire on her and Li Jun, she was still able to change her future. Best of all, Li Jun was still alive... His right arm was also not cut off from his shoulder.

At the thought of his and her sufferings in her past life, she gritted in an icy tone, "Those who have harmed us, enjoy your last few moments. I shall personally carry out heaven's retribution, and they shall face my wrath!"

Unfortunately, she was still too weak at this moment. Because she had the Pure Yin Physique, her clan elders had made her consume a lot of medicinal pills to increase her cultivation as well as increasing her chances of breakthroughs. However, they never allowed her to go near, read or practice any cultivation techniques.

Due to the high intake of medicinal pills since a very young age, her body has long gotten used to it. The effects also grew weaker and weaker, the more pills she consumed.

This has affected the foundation of her cultivation base, making it very unstable, and made her weaker than those in the same cultivation base as her.

However, in the eyes of the Xiao clan, she was just a furnace, and the stability of her cultivation is not of their concern. Jingyue only need sto have a high cultivation so that it can benefit the person who will use her body.

As Jingyue thought carefully, she realized that although she is a cultivator, she was not a part of the cultivation world. She did not know much about the cultivation world, and so she did not know where to begin to make herself stronger. She was clueless.

She was thirteen this year. She will meet that bastard next year, and the year following that, she will be wedded to him. Jingyue clenched her palm, she cannot let this happen. She has two years to prepare. Either to find a way to become way stronger than the Medicine Sect or find a backing that is stronger than them.

But to her knowledge, very few sects are more powerful than the Medicine Sect. Even if they are, are they willing to go against the most influential sect just for her, a nobody?

The Medicine Sect is the main provider for pills to almost 90% of all the sects across the Divine Continent. If they were to clash with the Medicine Sect and they stop providing pills to them, that would be a disaster for all the disciples and cultivators of said sect.

At the thought of this, Jingyue became restless and helpless. In the end, it all comes down to strength! In the cultivation world, the strong prey on the weak, and the law of the jungle prevails.

She felt that even though she has travelled back in time, two years was not enough. Time was not on her side.

Would she be following her past life's footsteps...?

No.

She clenched her palm tightly. She must adapt to the laws of the jungle to survive. All her past life's regrets, she must settle it in this life!

Otherwise, what is the point of her rebirth?