Chapter 5 - Bai Shiqi

As she stood there in deep thoughts, a voice called out to her excitedly, "A'Yue!"

Jingyue looked up and saw a familiar childish face. She had a beautiful pair of emerald, phoenix eyes, that were currently curved into a bright smile. Unlike most girls, her hair was tied up into a ponytail and as she walked quickly towards her, her ponytail swayed left and right giving off a youthful and heroic look. When she saw Bai Shiqi, memories of back then resurfaced.

When she was married to that bastard, Shiqi had visited her once. Shiqi was a poison cultivator and during that first visit, she had tried to poison Chen Yifeng in order to help her escape. However, being how shrewd he was, her scheme was thoroughly seen through.

Chen Yifeng then allowed them to assume that their plan was going well, only stopping them at the very last moment. As a result, without mercy, the Medicine Sect captured Shiqi for attempted assassination and kidnapping the sect leader's wife, and turned her into their poison tester for the young disciples of the sect. In the end, after hellish suffering, Bai Shiqi, who was a poison cultivator, was poisoned to death.

The clan leader of the Bai Clan had wanted to seek revenge for the death of his daughter, however as the clan leader, the lives and death of the clan members were in his hands. Should he take action, the consequences were not something he could handle.

Because of this, however much Shiqi's mother loved her in the past was how much she hated her. But at the same time Aunt Bai tried her best to help her since her daughter, Bai Shiqi, lost her life over this. Aunt Bai had a weak constitution to begin with and this matter made her so depressed that her body couldn't handle it and died a year later.

Xiao Jingyue had felt guilty about this matter until the day of her death.

"...er... Yu'er, are you feeling much better now?" Bai Shiqi's tug made her come out of her daze.

"Qi qi, I'm feeling fine. Otherwise I wouldn't be going outside." Jingyue gave a helpless smile as Bai Shiqi grabbed both her hands and turned her body left and right as Shiqi carefully examined her body.

"Hmph, you did not know how worried and frightened I was. So many assassins came out of nowhere and had us surrounded. Thankfully reinforcements came, otherwise... otherwise I don't know what will happen to us." Bai Shiqi shivered as she recalled what happened.

Jingyue knocked on Shiqi's forehead, "Alright, the matter has passed. Don't dwell on it again."

"You're right! I'll take you to see mother first before we head off to my courtyard. She's also very worried about you."

"Sure, it has also been a while since I last saw Aunt Bai," she smiled guiltily.

Bai Shiqi took Xiao Jingyue's hand, and the two happily walked towards the inner courtyard.

When the two stepped inside the courtyard, Xiao Jingyue saw Madam Bai gently and carefully tending a variety of colourful plants in her little garden. Although these plants may look pleasant to the eyes and one may mistake them for beautiful flowers, they are extremely poisonous.

It was rumored that a wild cultivator had trespassed and wanted to steal some of these plants to make a living,but before he could even take them away, he died upon touching it as the poison from the plants quickly entered his blood streams and attacked his heart. He suffered excruciating pain until his death.

"Aunt Bai," Jingyue softly greeted. Madam Bai had stopped her actions when she saw the two youngsters entering her courtyard. She used a cleansing spell in which a soft breeze went past her body, taking away all the dust and poison on her with it.

"Yue'er, you've come. Come let auntie see, you've gotten thinner over the past few days I haven't seen you. The incident at the temple must've been shocking."

Jingyue looked at the concerned aunt Bai and her heart felt warm. Due to a difficult labour, her mother died on the day she was born. Growing up, Madam Bai, who treated her with motherly love and saw her grow up, was like a mother to her. Currently, Madam Bai, although weak, did not have death qi surrounding her nor did look at her with complex eyes.

Once again, Jingyue felt that she was lucky to have been rebirthed. She must've used all her luck from her past life to once again have the chance to meet the people she cares about and right what was wrong.

Jingyue stayed in the Bai clan until evening. Honestly, she didn't want to return back to the Xiao clan. The Xiao clan which used to be her home was no longer familiar. However, she must return to that place. Right now, she needs to gain more knowledge about the cultivation world.

Instead of going back to her courtyard to rest, Jingyue made her way towards the Xiao clan's Scripture Pavilion. The Scripture Pavilion was guarded by a sect elder and only the clan's disciples may enter. In there, you can find all sorts of books that the Xiao clan has stored since its existence. From cultivation methods to cultivation techniques, the clan's history to the history of the cultivation world.

Surely, she would be able to find everything she needed to know in the Scripture Pavilion.

Not long after, she reached a white building with gold markings. It was three stories tall and looked grand yet ancient at the same time.

As Jingyue approached, an elder who had his eyes closed, resting to the left side of the pavilion, opened his eyes. A surprised expression covered his face before returning back to normal. He stood up and bowed towards her, "Young miss Xiao, what has made you come all the way here?"

"Elder Ling, as you know, I've recently been involved in an accident. It has terrified me greatly, and I think I should find more books to strengthen myself, so that I can protect myself in the future," replied in a soft voice.

Elder Ling nodded his head in understanding. "Then this elder shall not hinder the young miss."

"Thank you Elder Ling."

When she entered the pavilion, she saw rows and rows of white shelves which were filled with books. There were some that were made from bamboo scrolls and wooden slips. As she walked past each shelf, Jingyue used her spiritual qi and quickly scanned through the titles of all the books.

Any book that wrote about the history of the cultivation world, the strengthening of one's cultivation base, the Pure Yin Physique, or water techniques, she stored them inside her spiritual ring.

It took her one shichen (two hours) to completely look through all three levels. When she walked out of the Scripture Pavilion, Elder Ling greeted her once more, "Did the young miss find what she was looking for?"

"Yes, it was a great harvest."

As Elder Ling looked at Xiao Jingyue's back getting further and further away, he gave a thoughtful look before entering the Scripture Pavilion to have a look.

Ever since the young miss was born, she had never entered the pavilion before. He needed to confirm what manuals she had taken.