Chapter 162: No Match Against Flames (EP. 03)

The sounds of delicate wine glasses clinking together and the weighty cavernous noises of the playing Tuba snapped Aiden out of his unamused stupor. This might be the sixtieth time he had to remind himself that he's subconsciously tapping his foot to the upbeat rhythm the orchestra produced.

He observed the surroundings with weary eyes, from the trays of bite sized pastries on the buffet table to the massive platter of smoked meat. He shifted his dazed stare to his wife, who pleasantly conversed with Lady Stillwell of Denmark and the man who is looking at Elsa for far too long...

He just didn't expect for that man to be Prince Elgon of Draven.

The Lady of Denmark cleared her throat and excused herself politely, which opened up the good chance for him to gleefully wrap his arms around his wife and plant a bold kiss on her head. He noticed Nathan's sly wink, and Aiden shot his cousin a grateful smile in return before allowing the Northern king to start a conversation with the elderly woman.

"Oh! Lover," Elsa laced her fingers with her husband's lovingly, "Where have you been?"

"Just standing right there in the corner," Aiden coerced a smile, "And ah, Prince Elgon. What a pleasure to meet you up close. Say, are you having a good time so far?"

The Dravenian's stomach churned in concealed disgust as his eyes found the sight of the King and Queen of Arendelle's interlaced hands, "You throw a marvelous party, your Majesty," Elgon dropped the volume of his voice, "I expected nothing less from a fellow Ignaeran."

Aiden's mouth parted agape in shock. No wonder the blonde possessed such a quaint eye color.

The prince couldn't suspend his smirk, but he made sure it wasn't so smug, "My father is the pure Ignaeran in our small family of three," Elgon confided, "He used to be a nobleman close to the king years before, from where he came from. I don't know his valid reason for abandoning his old home."

"Y-you're a half blood," Aiden squeezed Elsa's hand slightly, "Like me," He breathed.

"I don't know much of a Flame Bender culture, but yes, I am just like you," Elgon took a casual sip from his glass of grape wine, "Although while your powers are known by many, mine is still in secrecy. It's a shame you didn't manage to get the privilege to inherit a pureblood's eye color."

"I'll have you know that those green irises you speak so lowly of are the ones I fell in love with," Elsa flatly blustered all from her secluded moment of silence.

Aiden smiled sheepishly and massaged the snow Queen's shoulders in an assuring manner. He couldn't put a finger on why his wife suddenly acted clamantly.

Daring, Elgon thought calmly, but it's not obvious with her exterior.

"So, have you entered Ignaera itself?" Aiden awkwardly asked.

"Apologies for being blunt, but I have no interest in doing so," The prince lied. Aiden took a little step backward and nodded as if he understood. "You're not worthy of seeing it, anyway," Elsa darkly mumbled. It sounded incoherent to the Draven royal, but to her husband, it was clear that the queen holds a strong disliking to the prince in front of them.

"I need to head for the washroom, if you would excuse me," Elsa handed the fire king her empty glass. Aiden smiled and watched as his wife's figure disappeared in an array of stuffy crowds.

A silent growl of disappointment bubbled in Elgon's throat, "Your majesty, I heard that the royal gardens are beautiful at this hour. I would really like it if you would grant me the permission to get some air."
•••
The angry scowl of flabbergast still remained plastered on her red lips as Elsa stomped her heels throughout the empty halls of the Family Wing, the sheer memory of capturing the Prince of Draven's provocative eyes tracing every inch of her curvaceous form lingering like an unwanted bystander in her mind.