Dance With My Father Again

Back when I was a child, before life removed all the innocence
My father would lift me high and dance with my mother and me and then
Spin me around ‘til I fell asleep
Then up the stairs he would carry me
And I knew for sure I was loved

If I could get another chance, another walk, another dance with him
I’d play a song that would never, ever end
How I’d love, love, love
To dance with my father again

When I and my mother would disagree
To get my way, I would run from her to him
He’d make me laugh just to comfort me
Then finally make me do just what my mama said
Later that night when I was asleep
He left a dollar under my sheet
Never dreamed that he would be gone from me

If I could steal one final glance, one final step, one final dance with him
I’d play a song that would never, ever end
‘Cause I’d love, love, love
To dance with my father again

Sometimes I’d listen outside her door
And I’d hear how my mother cried for him
I pray for her even more than me
I know I’m praying for much too much
But could you send back the only man she loved
I know you don’t do it usually
But dear Lord she’s dying
To dance with my father again
Every night I fall asleep and this is all I ever dream

"Gerald, your four o'clock meeting with the team are here."

"Thank you Nhila, let them come in and hold all my calls til we finish", Gerald instructed his secretary.

As he waits for his meeting, memories pour back to Gerald's mind. Memories and the name of one person, Delfin Geronimo.

"Gerald", bati ng mga bisita nya habang pumapasok sa kanyang opisina.

"Fred, Ali, JV, please sit down", invited Gerald to his staff and friends as well.

"Fred, how's the construction going on? Are we on schedule for the opening?"

Fred, his head of engineering department, nodded. "We're on the right track, actually, ahead of schedule so don't worry about it. I already coordinated with the marketing department about the grand opening."

"Ali?"

Ali, the head of finance replies, "Stocks are still doing well and hopefully goes higher as we are finalizing this project. Wala namang problema sa mga stockholders. Kampante sila sa mga nagiging decisions mo."

Gerald nodded his head and turns to JV, his corporate attorney.

"Ali's right. All legal papers are settled na rin with the government. Our licenses are registered and work permits are approved. So nothing to worry about."

Gerald nods his approval to them. He couldn't help but feel proud of the guys in front of him. Ang layo na nang narating nila. Parang kailan lang, they were bunch of students who dreamt success. Typical barkada na maloko on the side but had aims on their future.

He still clearly remembers how they became friends. He was a transferee from another school. He and his mother came from another province trying their luck. One day on his way to school, a group of bullies approached him habang naglalakad sa kalsada and started to make fun of him coz of his looks. Di kasi mapagkakamaling hindi siya anak ng foreigner. At the start, hindi niya pinapansin ang mga pang-iinsulto ng mga kaklase niya. Sanay na kasi siya. Maski saan siya pumunta, hindi nawawala ang pangungutya sa kanya dahil sa kanyang hitsura. Pero noong oras na yun, pagod siya at mainit ang ulo kaya pinatulan nya ang mga ito. Apat laban sa isa, wala siyang kawala. Duguan na mukha nya at punit punit na ang damit nang sinaklolohan siya nina Fred, Ali at JV. Tinulungan siya ng mga ito. Ipinagtanggol din siya sa principal habang pinapagalitan sila. Mula noong araw na yon, parte na siya ng barkada. Wala na ring naglakas ng loob na lokohin siya dahil sa tatlong bagong mga kaibigan. Ang mga ito pala ang tinatawag na "siga" ng eskuwelahan kaya naman maski siya ay pinangilagan at kinatakutan ng mga estudyante. Pero hindi nagtagal, bumait din ang mga kabarkada niya dahil sa kanyang impluwensya. At dahil doon, nakatapos sila ng pag-aaral ng walang aberya.