There's A Star For Everyone

[Name] noticed it. The pep in Neji's step. His brighter smile. The cherry way he talked.

She notices it all.

She's never seen him so happy before, and she's seen him on some very good days. For example, when his uncle finally released his grudge on Neji and promoted him to the position he wanted the most, that was a fantastic day for him, so much so, he invited the entire team out for drinks, all on him. Another great day for Neji that [Name] had the pleasure to experience with him was when he got the apartment he wanted. He prayed, begged, and cried for this place, and he got it. Once again, he celebrated with the entire team, buying dinner this time.

Needless to say, [Name] has seen Neji on some great days, but this time around, he's more content. Satisfied. Fulfilled. Tranquil and soothed. Like he reached Nirvana or possibly even found the meaning of life.

He looks great. His skin glows, his eyes shine, and he does his work without complaint.

He's been like this for a week, and every day she wants to ask what has made him so happy.

On a particularly slow day, while both Neji and [Name] clock out for their lunch break, [Name] finds herself walking alongside Neji to the nearest sandwich shop, and she just has to ask him, cause his smile hasn't left his face, even when dealing with a particularly difficult customer.

"You've been smiling nonstop for a week," [Name] jokes. "And yet, you haven't told me, your best friend, what good thing happened to you."

Neji scratches his head, his cheeks flushing pink. "Ah, I don't know if I should tell you."

"C'mon!" [Name] hits his shoulder, scoffing at him for his coy behavior. "You have to tell me now!"

Neji shrugs. "Well, since you asked, that girl you told me to avoid, I tried avoiding her, but I couldn't stay away. It's like destiny, the universe, the three fates, pushed me towards her, and actually, we've been dating."

Neji grins when he says "dating," but [Name's] half-smile falters. The girl he was supposed to be avoiding is back in his life, and she doesn't like it one bit. Not to mention, the two of them are dating, it does nothing but crush all the air from her lungs.

Still, she forces the words from her lips, though they burn her tongue to say. "Really? Is that what's been making you happy?"

Her? She's been making you happy, Neji? [Name] thinks solemnly.

"Yes! Well, I don't know!" Neji laughs, shaking his head as he tries to think. "We talk all night. I can't seem to stay away from her."

[Name] tries to force his words right out of her head, though they stay and wrap around her brain like thick ivy leaves over an old building. She feels bitter about the whole situation. She's been working with Neji for years, and this woman swoops in and takes Neji from her. Although she has stars in her eyes, and a predetermined soulmate, she'd resist fate and temptation for Neji.

"Are you sure you're not jumping too deep into this? Don't you want to date around? You should be cautious, Neji! You don't even know her."

Neji casts a confused and disturbed look at [Name]. "I already feel like I've known her my entire life. But, [Name], why are you acting like this?"

They've reached the sandwich shop finally. She stares at the short line inside and loses interest in food altogether. She feels sick.

"I'm just worried about you, Neji," she speaks softly. She feels tears well in her eyes, but she blinks them away. "I'm just worried someone will get their heart broken."

...

A few days later, on an even slower day, [Name] has just finished a call and booked some appointments, but no one has entered the clinic yet. [Name] anticipates her next call, or at least seeing a customer. She doesn't like idle time anymore because all she can think about is Neji and this mystery woman.

How could she have captured the man's heart so quickly? What does she possess that [Name] lacked? Who is she? What does she look like? Is this woman prettier than [Name]? Smarter? Wittier?

These questions flood and possess [Name's] mind, and it's then that she knows she's obsessed. It's out of her normal personality to act this way, and it haunts her mind that something as simple as a little crush and a little relationship would tear through her like a wolf on a lamb. It's unbecoming of her.

[Name] holds her head in her hands and begs for someone to come in to occupy her mind for at least a few minutes. And as the universe answers her plea, it pops in a new girl, twin buns rest atop her head, but the first thing [Name] notices is her eyes. A beautiful mocha brown eyes with a slight twinkle in the corner of both eyes.

Instead of going up to the reception desk like most people, the woman finds a seat in the corner and picks up a magazine. [Name] continues to stare, hoping she'd come up to her so she can start a conversation, possibly forget about this other mystery girl Neji seems to be so in love with.

Before [Name] can address the woman, the phone rings. It's her first distraction in a while, so she's thankful for it. As she picks up the phone to answer, [Name] keeps watch on the woman.

The lady just flips through the magazine in her hand, possibly reading over the latest celebrity relationship drama or the article about 25 ways to please your partner in bed.

"We'll see you on Thursday?" [Name] confirms an appointment date with the client. "Our four o'clock is filled. Can you do three or five?"

She glances at the woman again. The curiosity gets the best of her. She wants to know who this woman is, why did she come in without talking to the receptionist first. Even people who are just waiting for a friend usually say that before sitting down. But no, she was a little defiant on the social norms of this clinic. It's weird.

"At five? Fantastic!" [Name] continues her conversation with the client. "We'll see you on Thursday at five o'clock, Mrs. Yukino."

The phone goes back on the receiver, and [Name's] focus returns to the lady.

"Ma'am?" She speaks, and the twin buns girl looks up. "Can you come here for a moment?"

With a hum of affirmation, the woman stands, putting the magazine back gently, and struts up to the desk. It's now that [Name] can see the twinkle in the woman's eyes are actually stars. One for each eye, but other than that, they're consumed by a sea of delicate brown irises. She could pass as normal, unlike [Name].

"Can I get your name?" [Name] asks, opening up the client book to see if she scheduled an appointment.

"Oh. It's Tenten! Tenten Chen!" Her voice differs from her delicate look. It's tomboyish, loud, and confident.

[Name] hums. The name is familiar, but she can't quite put her finger on when she heard that name. She tuts and moves forward. "I'm sorry, Miss Chen, but you don't seem to have an appointment."

"I'm not here for an appointment," Tenten chirps with a smile. "I'm here for Neji."

She squints, scanning Tenten for any dangerous weapons, shifty eyes, or sudden, twitchy movements. But there's nothing: nothing but a calm, cheery demeanor.

What could this woman possibly want with Neji? She thinks.

[Name's] eyes widen. It all comes back to her in a flurry of memories. She remembers buying beers, getting drunk, and talking about a Tenten. Neji, who affectionately called her Tenten Hyuga in that time, was elated every time he spoke up about her.

Bile bubbles in her stomach, and it coats her throat. A weight that was momentarily lifted, slams back down on [Name's] chest, slowly pushing all the air from her lungs until she can no longer breathe. The woman in front of her, Tenten, she's Neji's dream girl?!

"Neji?" [Name] whimpers to confirm what her brain wants to deny.

"Yep!" Tenten giggles, and a blush coats her cheeks. "I'm his soulmate!"

That's when a chapter in [Name's] life ended, and a new one began.

...

A/N: writing at 5am 👌🏽👌🏽👌🏽