Fading Star

The universe, or whatever gods crafted this world, made everything just so. Gave the few a soulmate while the majority so desperately looks for their own. But what if the majority doesn't have a soulmate, and the universe made it that way? They're supposed to bounce between relationships, flings, and one-night stands. It sucks, but it's what defines them. It hardens their resolve to find the one, to make whoever they're in love with the one.

The pain, the joy, the sorrow, the anger, and resentment, makes it all worthwhile.

Makes the relationship worthwhile.

Even those who are aromantic have been branded with stars. The universe made it so. Not to force them into a romantically involved attachment, but to show them that love comes in different forms. Love can be platonic. A soulmate can be your best friend, a coworker, or even the barista that memorized your order.

The universe made it so.

But what happens to those who deny the universe and deny their soulmates? Fate can't be stopped forever, and the two will be forced to meet again and again. They are bound until their last breath. Forever and ever.  

The universe made it so.

And the universe made it so.

...

It's raining.

It comes down hard, flooding the streets, forming large puddles on the sidewalks so big it swallows your foot. The chilly air bites at people's skin, drying lips and turning ears red. It's grey and murky, and this weather doesn't lighten [Name's] mood. She already feels so numb.

Her shift had just ended, and it was torment. All day, Neji spoke about Tenten and their relationship. Hearing this after meeting one's soulmate a few days ago, it's heart-crushing. He's so in love, so wrapped around Tenten's finger that she can only feel jealousy.

[Name] wishes she had Neji curled around her finger. [Name] wishes she had Neji talk about her in such abundance, singing her praises, spewing cute little anecdotes about her. [Name] wishes and wishes, and yet, further and further, Neji pushes her to the back of his mind while Tenten takes the forefront.

[Name] wakes from her daze, and she realizes that she's standing in front of her car, soaking wet.

It's raining. Leaving everything grey and muddy. The rain soaks into her clothes, chilling her to the bone. And she feels stuck, frozen in place, key pointed towards the lock but halted, as if time stopped.

As if the universe stopped.

But the universe didn't stop because the rain won't. It's so cold, and it further numbs her heart. She wants nothing more than her legs to give out, retiring her body to the mud and letting the rain consume her. Let it take her body back to the earth and scatter her soul among the stars. She can be cold and numb forever this way.

All she needs is some warmth to jumpstart her back into movement.

Warmth.

[Name] thinks of Itachi. She can still feel his touch and hear his soothing voice. He's the embodiment of warmth. Maybe it's his kind spirit she feels within him, or it's possibly the sound of his voice that feels like the sun against her skin on a summer's day.

Itachi, the man who is her soulmate, even though he's attached to someone else. Someone far more successful, far more beautiful in her simplicity. Someone who he's loved his whole life.

And yet, [Name] is his soulmate. That idea warms her heart, fending off all the numbness she feels. Someone out there loves her despite not knowing her, can't stop thinking about her. Possibly spilling little anecdotes about her and talking about her in abundance.