32

The next day I felt like a sick old woman. I had spent the entire night crying and sobbing my hearts out. I knew him and the knights were here in Navaeh already when I heard loud voices walking towards the kitchen when I had just finished my shift.

The remaining of my yesterday's shift was, bad. I almost cut my fingers with a super sharp knife. I was almost high. I kept thinking about what I should do and how I should do it. Maliciously break his heart or tell him the truth.

But I knew the second one wasn't an option.

No matter how sad, upset or mad I was, I wouldn't ruin a mother-son relationship.

I was an outsider. I would never ever do that.

I was already late to go to work that day and one of the maids came to ask me what happened so I told them I was sick and couldn't come to work. She nodded and left.

Thank god no one else came after that. Not Marilyn, James or even my brother. I wasn't exactly sick but I think I was coming down with the flu but it wasn't bad. I just knew I couldn't focus if I were to go to work and probably cut off my hand by accident.

I spent the entire afternoon on the bed, crying silently and staring at the ceiling or window or the pillow. I knew, I just knew the whole love thing was too good to be true.

I had to find ways and excuses to stop seeing him. I had to find a way to break his heart and no one can know the real reason. I cried even harder because he doesn't deserve the things that will happen to him. I do not want to break his heart.

But I had to.

And that makes me even sadder.

It was around four when I decided crying won't solve anything. I got up, cleaned myself and made my way down to the kitchen. If I had to work till my legs wobble to distract myself, then so be it. I walked in and put on my apron.

The kitchen wasn't busy so I asked some of the cooks if there anything I could do and they said everything was under control. I nodded and went to the prep table to help whatever I could.

"My love, what are you doing here?" I turned to my left when I heard a lovely voice called me. I smiled weakly. "Work," I replied and continued with my work.

"Nonsense. You look sick. You look so pale, my love. Have you eaten anything? Have you went to see John?" I shook my head as my answer since I felt like opening my mouth was a heavy task. I guess I was for real, sick.

"Oh dear, Ruth can you cook some porridge or soup?" Ruth yelled a 'sure' and Marilyn took a seat next to me. The second her palm touch my knee, I closed my eyes and rest my head on her shoulder. When she rubbed my arm, tears left my eyes.

"Sweet Evelyn, what's wrong?" I didn't answer, I just silently cried on her shoulder. I missed my mom. I missed her touch and I miss our mother-daughter talk. Plus the whole Harry thing was too much for me to handle. Especially when I had fallen in love with him.

When I calmed myself, I silently filled my stomach with the tasty soup and nodded when Mar told me to see John and get some medicines. She noticed that I wasn't going to open my mouth to speak anymore, so she kissed my temple and left me for privacy.

When I finished my bowl, I asked if I could do anything else and the patted my back and told me to go rest. I thanked them and started walking towards John's chamber. I knocked and told him I wasn't feeling well and I think it was just the flu or something.

He gave me some medicine and I left. I didn't look up once. I kept my eyes on the floor the whole way back to my chamber. But stopped when I noticed familiar black boots in front of my chamber.