19

Later that night, I didn't leave my chamber. Not to eat or meet anyone. I just laid there on my bed. Heavily thinking.

Joust was something I didn't expect to do in the short run. I mean, I knew I had to go through it sometimes if I were to be a knight, but not as a test for me to become one.

Joust was one of the most dangerous things one could do. Numerous deaths were caused by this thing. I knew how it worked and I was truthful, scared.

No, the knights won't treat me differently just because of my gender or my size. They won't even know that I was a woman. I didn't know what was the prize of the tournament and if it was something very valuable then I knew it'd be harder for me to survive.

Suddenly there was a knock on my door. I didn't move an inch. Hoping that the person behind the door would take a hint that I was sleeping or something. But it didn't stop.

I groaned and went to open the door. Shocked when I saw him.

He brought James as well. They both looked at me with a sad face. Almost pity. Which I hated. I didn't say a word as we were facing each other. I just stand there.

"Oh Eve!" seconds later, I was engulfed in a tight hug by James. I felt calmer. He was indeed my best friend in this place. Just in a short amount of time, he has become my safe place and safe arms for me.

We then heard footsteps of guards coming our way. That was when the prince grabbed my hand and push me back inside my chamber. The feeling of sensation was there when our fingers interlocked but I shook the thought out of my mind.

We stood in front of my bed. None of us was saying anything.

"Are you okay?" Harry asked and I nodded.

"Can't you do something? Change your father's mind and talk him out of it?" James said looking worried.

"Oh! Or we can secretly tell the knights from other kingdoms to go easy on Eve. You have a lot of friends, I am sure they'll listen to you." He continued.

I just took a deep breath. That was when I realized my hand was still in his hand, locked together.

"No need." I cut him off before he continues to say more.

"I can do it. I can. I have to." I said for the first time in hours.

"James, can you go to the kitchen and grab some foods and bring them up here?" Harry said still not letting my hand go. James politely nodded and left us behind. Even though I knew if someone caught us alone in my chamber, we'd get in so much trouble but that was the last thing in my mind.

After he left, we sat on the chairs that were with a little round table in the corner of my chamber. He let go of my hand. "Are you sure you're okay?" He asked once again.

"Yes," I answered.

"Are you scared?" A worried face was plastered.

"Yes."

"I'm sorry. No one knows what my father would say. We all really thought you were going to get accepted today. You were amazing today. I am so so proud of you, Evelyn." I smiled. He was so, good.

"No, it's totally fine. I was shocked earlier. But I had long thought about it. It's understandable. I wasn't born from a knight's blood. I'm a female. I learnt the whole thing in two weeks. It's totally understandable why the king wanted me to join the tournament. I just hope I don't die tomorrow." I said.

"No don't say that," Harry said, taking both of my hands. He intertwined our fingers. I knew it was wrong. So so wrong. If we were to get caught I knew I was doomed. I should've stopped it but I didn't.

"I am here. I will make sure nothing happens to you. I promise you."

"I don't want you or anyone to tell the competitors that I'm a female and how they should go easy on me. I want equality, Harry. It doesn't matter if they hurt me. I can handle it. If that's what it takes for me to be a knight then I'll accept it." I argued to him because I knew he was starting to listen to James.

It was bad enough to have this weird 'more than a tutor-student' relationship, I didn't want to face the consequences if someone found out that Harry told the knights to give me away.

He didn't reply. Instead, he squeezed my hand and smiled. Then James came in with a tray full of foods. I let go of his hand and took the tray from James. Eating silently while they two talked about ways and strategies to make sure I won tomorrow.

++

I was fortunate to sleep at least a few hours last night. Even though my mind told me that I shouldn't and I should worry about what was about to happen and how my life was in line, my body took over and soon I was asleep.

My body was exhausted from earlier and my arm was aching. But not as bad as my first day of training. I woke up around six and started getting ready. While bathing, my mind kept thinking about things.

Harry didn't teach me how to joust. I knew and how joust went. But we never thought that I was going to go through it this early. I had known about the tournament since the knights were busy training night and day for it. But I didn't know I would become a part of the tournament.

I snapped out of my thought and started getting ready. As soon as I was ready, I went to the kitchen and take my fruit as usual. Marilyn wasn't there and some of the cooks were there, it was quite busy. Considering they had to cook for more people than usual. Marilyn was probably somewhere preparing the foods for the knights.

I didn't talk to anyone and silently making way to the tent for Navaeh's knights. As soon as they saw me, they started whispering to each other. Only two knights from each kingdom will join the tournament. I was one of Navaeh's knight along with Sir Timothee who was there with other knights and some other knights.

"Morning, Eve." Sir Timothee greeted me. He was one of the nice knights. I wasn't saying that they were bad or evil. They just weren't the friendliest.

"Morning Sir Timothee." He sat next to me while putting on his gauntlet. I decided to put my long braided hair in my armour, making sure no one can see my hair.

For the next 30 minutes, he told me tips and tricks to survive the tournament. I listened carefully and asked questions when he finished. I knew that my goal was not to win. But to survive.

That was all my goal and hope.

As they said, hope is the most powerful thing one could hold.

***

next chapter is going to be so much fun! so excited

THANKS FOR READINGi love you, you've made my day ♡