30

The next few days was peaches and cream. Even though the tasks I had after the party was a lot and I meant, a lot- I didn't felt like it was a lot. I was on cloud nine. Everything went by smoothly. Me and him tried as best as we could to see each other whether in the kitchen- where he'd come and pretend to care what the menu was that day or in the hall where we both acted like we bumped into each other but truthfully James would tell me which wing and hall he'd be waiting for me or we'd met in the secret garden.

I was in love.

I didn't know if he was too. But I didn't want to break my heart by asking him that. It was a delicate situation. One that you can't poke at out of the blue.

Plus I don't think my feelings for him matter. He'd marry a princess and I'd go back to my village or people and it will be like my feeling never existed. But at the moment, I wanted to drown myself in the feelings of love.

Tomorrow, the knights, Minister Farrington and Harry would be going to my village, fully prepared this time. I swore I was thinking about sneaking in and blend myself in the sea of knights so I could see what happened to my village with my own eyes, but I didn't want to get myself in trouble.

"You know, you seem happy since the night of the birthday party," Marilyn said and bumping her hips with mine while we were both preparing some batter for dinner's dessert later.

"I'm always happy." I giggled, defending myself.

"You're glowing as well." She continued.

"It's the sun." I ignored her playful glared when I kept pretending I didn't know what she meant.

"You don't have to tell me, but I already know." She hummed and ignored me when I stopped mixing the batter and turned my full attention to her.

"What do you know?" She ignored me, continuing humming some folk songs.

"Aw, cmon! What do you mean, Mar?" Silent.

"Okay fine! No apple pie for the rest of the month." I said and picked up my bowl to continue mixing the batter again and smiled when I saw she turned to me and rolled her eyes.

"I know that you're in love." I inhaled sharply and did not make any eye contact with her.

"No. You're wrong," I mumbled. She laughed and called Ruth to start baking our well-blended batter. She then grabbed two stools for us both to sit and chat.

"My love, I'm 60 years old. You don't think I know if someone's in love? I've been through it." She said putting her hand on my cheeks. I ran my eyes to somewhere else because I knew I couldn't lie to her. She was the exact copy of my mum. They knew better and they're not someone you could lie to.

"I even know who you love." I groaned and covered my face with my palms because I couldn't come up with a lie or an excuse to dodged her exclaims.

"How do you know?" I asked lowly, not wanting anyone to eavesdrop.

"I've worked here since I was 20 years old. I was here before he was even born. He grew up in front of my eyes. I know everything about him. He grew up together with James. They're both my sons. I would like to believe I know when my son is in love." She smiled and kissed my forehead.

"But you can't tell anyone. I don't want him to get into trouble. Especially if his parents know. He'd be in a lot of trouble." I said, getting worried now that more than three people knew about us.

"You're not worried about you?" I shook my head.

"See? You are in love. You worried about the other one more than you worry about yourself. You put them before yourself." I smiled and closed my eyes, hugging her. I really missed my mum and her hug.