Volume 3 Ep. 7 - Goldilocks and the Speedy God

Amity Coliseum
Y/N

"Now, for the moment you've all been waiting for! The one-on-one finals!" Professor Port announces. The crowd goes wild with screams, shouts, and cheers. "Barty, why don't you explain the rules?" Professor Port turns to Dr. Oobleck.

"Ah, it's quite simple, Peter. Instead of a bracket system, each round of the finals will be randomly determined immediately before the match takes place!" Dr. Oobleck explains. "Much like any good hunt, there will be zero time to prepare!" Professor Port exclaims.

"Ah, yes, yes! Now, let's see who our first match will be!" Dr. Oobleck lets out. I looked up at the holographic screen as the roulette starts to spin. I watched in anticipation. Slowly, the roulette came to stop.

"Yang Xiao Long and Mercury Black!" Professor Port announces. "Would all other combatants please leave the stage!" Professor Port instructs. We did as he told us to do.

Walking off the battlefield I eyed Mercury suspiciously. 'Something's going on...' I told myself. 'I have to stay vigilant...' I added. I returned to my seat next to Team RWBY and Team JNPR. I noticed that Pyrrha was still feeling unsteady.

"Three! Two! One! Fight!" Professor Port calls as Yang immediately throws a punch. Mercury spins his foot to meet it, creating a shockwave between them pushing Mercury back.

He immediately closes the distance and aims at her feet. Yang was fast enough to leap over him and shoot her shot. Mercury dodges as both combatants initiated into hand-to-hand combat.

Yang shoots her gauntlets and gained some distance between both of them. Mercury shoots himself into the air to get farther away from her. He displayed his infamous smirk.

Relentlessly, Yang shot at Mercury from a distance. Mercury dodges each shot and launches himself into the air. He brings down his leg for an ax kick. Yang brings her arms up and blocks the attack.

Yang pushes his leg and launch Mercury into the air. Yang shoots her shot, but Mercury ducks and managed to land a kick on her. Yang grimaces and lands on her knees. Immediately after, she boosts herself with her gauntlets and speed towards Mercury.

With every punch from Yang was a shot towards her opponent. Mercury manages to roundhouse kick her in the back and attempts to hit her with his heel.

She dodges in time and starts shooting at the ground trying to get Mercury. But, he leaps and twirls to get a hit on her. He misses but brings his leg down to go for the counterattack. Yang nearly misses as the ground in front of Mercury shatters.

They begin to exchange kicks after Mercury's attack until he lands a kick behind her and rushes forward only to receive a fist to his chin, then to his torso, knocking him onto his stomach.

He gets up right as Yang starts raining down fire again, causing Mercury to somersault back. One of Yang's shot got him and knocks him off the stage. Shockingly, Mercury boosts himself up with his gun boots and gets back onto the battlefield.

Mercury, then, began to unleash a series of kicks that Yang easily deflects. Yang ducks under one of his attacks only to receive another as Mercury jumps into the air to knock her back. Mercury follows his move with a shot from his boots.

Effortlessly, Yang avoided the shot, not noticing it still hanging around behind her. Switching tactics, Mercury starts shooting in every direction creating a wall of his blasts.

He kicks the blasts towards Yang as she begins to avoid and dodge them. She begins to close the distance between them and fights with her fist again. Until Mercury kicks her into the air and knocks her right back to the ground, followed by the dozens of swirling shots that now converge right on to Yang.

Mercury smirks and dusts his clothes off. The crowd cheered for him. I looked up at their aura levels and saw that Yang wasn't out yet. Then, the smoke behind him erupts into flames.

Mercury turns to Yang as she angrily pounds her fists together... her eyes now red. Yang advances towards him and landed a punch knocking Mercury back. She rushes forward dodging and taking Mercury's kicks.

Yang pounded him with an unrelenting bombardment of left-right blows. Mercury lets out a pained groan before Yang hits him in the stomach. Mercury's aura sparkle to try and defend him from the lat hit to the face by the upset blonde.

He gives up as he lands on his back. The buzzer sounds as the crowd roars. Team RWBY, Team JNPR, and I cheered for Yang. "What a way to kick off the finals!" Professor Port exclaims as Yang raised her arm in victory.

"Yang Xiao Long wins!" Dr. Oobleck announces. "Yeah! You did it, sis!" Ruby cheered. "Way to go, Yang!" Blake cheers. Weiss pumps her fists in excitement. Yang continues to wave at the crowd before looking over at her defeated opponent.

"Better luck next time." Yang addressed to him as she walks off the battlefield.

'!!!'

My eyes widen. I blinked rapidly to unsee what I just saw. "My leg, MY LEG!" Mercury yelped in pain as the crowd booed. My eyes were still wide as I watch the scene unfold before me. "That's what you get, you little -- huh?" Yang was cut off by the appearances of Atlesian Knights and two Soldiers.

"Yang Xiao Long, stand down!" One of the soldiers ordered. "What? Why?" Yang let out confused. "Mercury!" Emerald shouted as she runs to her teammate.

"Why'd she do that?! WHY'D SHE ATTACK ME?!" Mercury cried. 'Something's not right...' I told myself. I looked up at the holographic screen. It showed footage of Yang circling around Mercury before shooting at his leg, breaking it.

'That wasn't what I saw...' I inwardly muttered as Yang's face dropped into confusion and regret.

'What just happened...?'