3/3 of a whole idiot

1977

         The Mayfield triplets, not single, not double, triple. Triple the child triple the trouble, like partners in crime, although being triplets doesn't make us the same person, we're different in our own ways like through personality. "Eli! Get off me!" Eli is the eldest one out of us, she can get angry pretty easily and is kinda like a bully, very tomboyish.
"Say uncle!"
"Uncle!"
"Louder!"
"UNCLE!"
"For Pete sakes, Eli get off the poor runt."
           Dani is the second oldest and the wisest, she has a great mind, very smart, and you can almost never make her angry, if you do, you must have done something really bad. She isn't tomboyish like Eli, she's more of one to wear dresses and put her hair up, every now and then she has a tomboy side though.
"Wimp."
"Ow."
"You're alright runt, at least she didn't pull anything."
           Then there's me, the runt, my name is Max, the youngest triplet, my stupid nickname is runt because I wasn't breathing when I was born and I'm the weakest, I wish my sisters didn't think of me as the weak one, but I really am. I'm the most quiet triplet, I have a lot of anger but it doesn't rise as fast as Eli's does, I'm more in between her and Dani, I'm also pretty tomboyish but I don't prefer black all the time like Eli. Although the three of us are very separate in opinions we're close, we always stick together and have each other's backs, we're like three thirds of a whole idiot, but we were eventually brought closer together when we found out about our parents divorcing, Eli was the first to know.
"Dad? Are you okay?"
"Yeah sweetheart, it's just...I'm alright."
"No, you're crying."
"Just go back to bed, honey."
"What's wrong?"
"Eli, go back to bed."
"No, I want to know." She sat down at the table next to our dad.
"I can't."
"I'm not a baby dad."
"No, but you're only six."
"So?"
"Go back to bed."
"No, tell me."
"...You see these papers I'm holding right here. These...are divorce papers."
"You and mom are divorcing?"
"Yeah."
"But why?"
"We'll talk about it later, just go back to bed, and don't tell you sisters yet, okay?"
"Okay."
          It was hard for us to find out, it hit us like a rock, our dad was taking it pretty hard too but our mom had gotten over it quickly, she had even started dating other guys but it's like she would break it off with them every ten seconds, and every time we came back from our dads apartment there would be some new guy that she'd introduce us to. Our parents had become very distant from us so the three of us had to bring ourselves together because we were all we had.

1979

"Eli stop it!"
"Why won't you just fight me, are you just being a little weak runt like usual."
"Please stop."
"No, runt."
"Stop."
"Eli, leave the runt alone."
"I SAID STOP!" I shoved Eli away from me with a lot of force shocking both my sisters. "I'm getting tired of this!"
"I'm sorry, I was just playing around." Eli said sadly
"No not that! Runt! Stop calling me a runt! It's getting so FUCKING ANNOYING! IM NOT A RUNT, IM NOT WEAK!" I started sobbing and ran out of the bedroom to sit on the stairs. It was only after a few moments that my sisters came and sat down next to me.
"We're sorry Max, we were just joking." Dani said putting her hand on my back.
"Well it's not funny, I wouldn't have been here." I sobbed
"You're right, we can't imagine what things would be like if you weren't. And I'm really sorry for always bullying you." Eli said hugging me
"It's okay, but it just really hurts to be reminded that I'm weak."
"You're not weak, you're really strong, you've dealt very well with things, and you're always needed by us as much as we are needed by you. I'm also sorry." Dani said joining the hug.
       I'm happy for that day, my sisters had shown that I wasn't totally weak, and Dani was right, they need me as much as I need them, we had been so close since that day that I couldn't even explain, but I loved it.

1980

         Time kept passing, we did everything together but things had gotten worse with our parents, our dad had started drinking and going to bars to get drunk even when we were around, and he hadn't been paying the bills to his small apartment causing him to lose custody of us, we were devastated and our mom wasn't too happy to find out that she now had full custody but she got through it. We didn't think anything could get worse until our mom met and married Neil Hargrove, that's when things went totally down hill. Neil had been super strict and hard with us acting as if he were our dad, he even called us only by our full names which was something we did not like.
"Elizabeth."
"It's Eli stepdoché."
"Excuse me?!"
"Well you seem to call us by the names we don't like so I will call you by the name you don't like." Neil grabbed her arm forcefully and got in her face.
"You listen here-"
"You don't scare me."
"Listen to me!"
"No!"
"I am your father!-"
"No you're not, now let go of me fucker." Neil grabbed tighter onto Eli's arm as a way to threaten her but he's no match for Eli. "Umm, ouch." She said in sarcastic pain. Neil glared and let go of her, we all kinda took it differently in our own ways from what I understand.
"Danielle, I need to speak with you."
"Well before you do I'd like to kindly remind you that I go by Dani, not Danielle."
"I don't care."
"Well you should, you're always talking about how we all should respect each other and it would be respectful of you to call us by the names we prefer. I mean, you wouldn't want us to call you something else like, Neilson, Cornelius, or what Eli always calls you, stepdouché."
"Don't speak to me with that attitude!"
"But I don't have an attitude, I'm speaking with facts. In fact you're the one with the attitude." Before Neil could speak more Dani had walked away, I wish I could do as well as my sisters but, I'm weak.
"Maxine...Maxine...MAXINE! Answer me!"
"It's, Max." I snarked
"I'm sorry, what." He took a sudden step towards me and I backed up against the wall.
"I'm sorry i-it was nothing."
"Good."
         So yeah, having Neil around wasn't all that fun, but his son Billy was way worse, he had taken an interest into me, more than my sisters and not in a good way. The worst part was that...I couldn't escape him. He did...really bad things to me, really. Really, bad things. I was nine years old, sitting in my bed minding my business until I spotted him at the doorway staring. "Do you need something, Billy?" He didn't say a word and walked in closing the door behind him, the next thing I know he was pinning me down on my bed taking my clothes off...I had never been the same since then, more quiet, more scared, and it didn't take long for my sisters to find out, it was that same day Billy had...used me when they had found me curled up in a corner sobbing.
"Max! Max where are you?" Eli walked in and found me hugging my legs with my head buried between them. "Max? Max oh my god! Dani come quick!" The both of them came and knelt down next to me and hugged me close.
"Max, what happened?" Dani asked
"B-..."
"What, what happened? Tell us."
"Billy..." I broke down into more tears and by the looks of it they both right away knew what happened. They had tried to notify our mom about it but she never believed us, and it made Billy mad.
"You little bitches think you can tell me off just like that! Well Max, you're in big trouble now." Billy started towards me but my sisters jumped in front.
"Don't touch her!"
         Eli shouted throwing a punch in Billy's face, both of them started attacking Billy with all their might but then he grabbed Dani by the arm and slammed it against the dresser until there was a snap and she screamed, Billy then punched her and knocked her out, I crawled over to her and tried to get her to wake up but it wasn't working, Eli was still trying to beat Billy but he grabbed her by the back of the head and slammed it against the wall causing her to fall to the floor next to Dani. Billy looked at me and smirked devilishly and dragged me to the bed. Dani had ended up with a broken arm and Eli had a concussion but Billy made us hide them as skateboard accidents, since all three of did it, it just became easier for him. Ever since that, it began happening over and over again, Eli and Dani doing their best to protect me but only ending up knocked out and bruised, then Billy once again takes advantage of me, he even broke Danies glasses one time, but everything is still hidden. My sisters had became very overprotective of me and did what they could to help and keep me safe. Then the tragedy of my life happened, I wasn't feeling very well the past few mornings and there was even a time I threw up, when I told my sisters Dani knew something was off so she had Eli sneak off to the store and buy some pregnancy tests, after taking it the three of us sat in our room, they held me close as we waited for the results. "I think it's time." Dani said, I reached forward and looked at it, and to our horror...it was positive. We didn't even think it was possible being that fact that I was only nine almost ten but it was true. "No no no no, this can be right. No it's not true! It..." I couldn't finish speaking as I broke down, my sisters held me tightly and sobbed as I cried loudly. As the past few days went by I was stuck, I didn't know what to do, I was scared that I'd be in trouble with my mom, stepdad, and most of all, Billy, so I tried to do what I thought was best for me. While no one was around I grabbed some pills from the nearby cabinet and took as many as I could hoping that I would be gone soon but I was wrong, later that night I bled and then I realized...I killed the baby. I had never been so...empty, I blamed myself for it, I had told my sisters and we all broke down together. The next few nights were hard, I'd lay in bed sobbing at all the horrific memories from the past few months, but I wasn't alone, my sisters would leave their beds to come lay in mine, holding me close, comforting me, and keeping themselves awake until I'd fall asleep, and that had gone on every night all the way to where we are now.

1937 words, this chapter was more of a chapter to give a little back story for the triplets and obviously Max is narrating but I will be switchinge this to POV style in the next chapters. Anyways stay safe my uglies, Yeetus 😎

6/20/20