The Pollywog

I sat on the floor with my back against a couch, in front of me was a baby with short red hair laying on their stomach trying to bite down on something, I took it from them because I didn't want them to choke, they began to fuss but I gave them a toy in return, they stopped and of course they put it in their mouth again, I giggled and got down on my belly and laid in front of them and watched them attempt to play with their toys but they seemed to only be around 6 or 7 months old.

I reached forward and caressed their soft little cheek, it was cute, chubby, and squishy. They looked up at me still biting down on the toy, I smiled more, they only responded with a few baby noises then flapped their arms around. I chuckled and heard a noise from beside me, I looked over but saw nothing there, I went to turn back to the baby but only to see a little blanket with a bunch of toys sitting on it. I panicked and got up on my knees and looked around, the room started getting dark, like the shadows were swallowing everything up, I snatched up the blanket so the darkness wouldn't get it and held it against my chest, tears begun to run down my cheeks. "Because she lost her damn baby!" The voice echoed through the place as the darkness caved in, it was coming after me. I hugged the blanket and tightly shut my eyes letting more tears fall out. I started to feel something on my arm, I slowly opened my eyes to see Dani sitting on the edge of the bed smiling at me lightly, rubbing my arm.

"Hey." She said softly.

"Hi." I said back tiredly.

"It's time to get up. I let you sleep a little longer, but I have you're things packed." I nodded. She got off the bed and walked off, I sat up and rubbed my eyes then threw the covers off me and got up. I grabbed my neatly folded clothes off the table. As I dressed I realized I wasn't being rushed, I took a look around and didn't see Eli anywhere.

"Where's Eli?"

"She's outside." I nodded and finished putting my clothes on. I walked over and let Dani put my bag on for me, after that I picked my board up and walked out the door with Dani following, when getting outside Eli was seen leaning against the balcony smoking a cigarette, she turned to us and threw it onto the ground and stepped on it.

"It's about time." Eli said, Dani sighed and I looked down. "Well, quit wasting time." Eli turned and started walking down the stairs, Dani rolled her eyes and wrapped an arm around my shoulders.

"Come on."

[Dani POV]

"I still don't get why they call him zombie boy. I mean, he got lost in the woods for a week, so why a zombie? Because everyone thought he was dead?" I asked Lucas as we walked in the halls together. I'm already worried about Max because she was now stuck with Eli, it's not that I have a problem with her being around Eli but...okay so I have a bit of a problem with it. It's mostly just the part about how Eli treats Max, I know for a fact that she scares the hell out of her. I don't like the fact that she has to fear her own sister, I know what exactly she fears most about it, and I hate saying it but, I feel the same way. I'm scared Eli will actually physically hurt Max, I hate to think such a thing about my own sister but it's true...

"Yeah. I mean, we had a funeral for him and everything." Lucas said

"After a week?"

"Well, see, some other kid drowned at the quarry. We thought it was Will because his body was super decomposed."

"What?" I stopped and looked at him. "Okay, Lucas that's not funny."

"It's not a joke, all right? It's public knowledge. You can ask anybody. Except Will, because he's really sensitive about it. All right?"