There was something in her eyes, something like sadness or grief. She blinked and that sadness was gone, replaced with her usual apathetic look.

"Alright then," she straightened her posture. "Let's move out."

~~~

"Good evening, Mr. Østberg."

Ketil bowed his head a little, leaning onto a crutch as Elder Sjei bowed back to him. "Good morning to you as well, sir."

"You seem to be healing rather well," he said, walking beside him as they followed Kaia on her business through the marketplace.

"Have you heard the news?"

Ketil furrowed an eyebrow, "the news?"

"It appears the Polarian Navy has taken an island belonging to Rajsend. Just a small island with nothing more than a colony living there, but it belonged to Rajsend."

Kaia looked back at them, "that seems worthy of a declaration of war to me."

Ketil shook his head, "no, it won't be. The Tsar is waiting for our move. If we succeed in the assassination, we will send word. If he receives a declaration of war from Aslaug, then he knows we have failed and are likely dead."

"So he will appease Aslaug's every desire." Kaia let out a sigh. "This seems like a terrible idea."

"That's because it is a terrible idea. I suppose he figures he loses nothing if we fail. We travel faster alone and gather less attention that way." He stopped, grimacing as he leaned his whole weight on his bad ankle. "I wonder what they're doing without me? I wonder if they've decided to go on to Kampsden?"

Kaia adjusted her grip on a heavy wicker basket, holding Kaspar against her chest with her other arm. She dropped the basket, looking back to him as she adjusted her shawl. "What would you rather them do?"

"I don't know. I want to be the one to—" he wrestled with the next word, "—kill my sister. She was the last person to see me as I was and I want to be the last person she sees."

It would also mean more to my people, he thought bitterly. Østberg killing Østberg, that was more normal than an assassination from outsiders.

"Let me help you with that, Kaia." Elder Sjei stooped down, taking the basket on his own shoulders. For an old man, he was quite strong.

"Thank you sir," Kaia whispered, turning to Ketil. "Are you feeling alright? You look a bit flustered."

He nodded quickly, "just thinking."

"Come on, you don't have to walk much farther. Elder Sjei, I can carry that now."

"No, no, let me help. Lord knows I need the exercise." He laughed, his body shaking in response. He looked back to Ketil, "you know, back in my prime, I used to be a lot like you."

Ketil smirked, "I'd gladly trade places with you."

Elder Sjei just shook his head, carefully patting his shoulder. "You won't think that way when you're my age."

If I live that long, Ketil thought.

Kaia made her way through the streets, stopping to speak with another woman who carried a toddler on her hip. The dark haired woman cooed over Kaspar who was curiously reaching toward the things he could see and grabbing onto Kaia's braided hair. She quickly exited the conversation and the woman's eyes went to Ketil.

She bowed, "Prince Østberg."

He grimaced, even though he knew most here knew of who he was. He still bowed a little—as far as his crutches and injuries would allow—before straightening up and quickly limping toward Kaia. He tried to ignore the eyes that slid along his face and back—those icy eyes that knew exactly who he was.