[ Chapter 23 - A Prideless Action ]

Start from the beginning

"I am,"  he looked on the ground. 

"Why? Did Mr. Macklet threaten you as well? If you are doing this because you are afraid that I would get hurt you better stop it," I grunted and pulled away from him. 

He was from the House of Beta, he should be the one who was braver. Why was he backing off just because of a threat? 

"It's not just you Vandia, they threatened Joey's life as well. He is barely a kid, I don't want him dead because of me," he sighed and stood up. He looked like he was getting frustrated as well.

"What? Do you think I am not risking my family, my friends, and you? I am, but I would never be able to sleep tightly at night knowing that I had turned a blind eye on someone who needed my help," I hissed and stood up as well. 

We faced one another, standing strongly for our different beliefs. I could see the pain and exhaustion in his expression. It was true that we have always answered one another during banters. We have always fought back then before we got in a relationship so I should be used to the two of us fighting in this manner but I was not. Ever since we got into this relationship, we never had any fights. This was painful for both of us, we have never answered each other this way before. 

"We can hire bodyguards to protect them while we file a case," I reasoned but he was already shaking his head. 

"We don't even have any proof yet," his voice went calmer, he was trying to compose himself. 

"I'm gonna put this case down Vandia and so should you," he said firmly. 

I turned around, I didn't want to face him. He frustrated every cell in my body. 

Why can't he understand my point?

How could he easily turn his back on Edward?

Why was he giving up?

Since when did he become a coward?

I was biting hard on my lower lip until I tasted blood. My old self would have just walked out but I wanted to try again, I wanted to convince him and make my point. 

"So what now? You're just going to leave Edward to rot in that room of his?" I faced him with a huge scowl on my face. 

He gulped hard which made his adam's apple apparent, "Yes."

"Pathetic, are you really from Beta?" I gave him a disgusted look. 

"Aren't you from Iota? Why can't you calculate where you are standing right now?  Make a table on all the pros and cons, maybe you would realize things better," he hissed. His words stung and it made my heart drop. 

"I asked you before what you would do if the two of us gets caught in this relationship and you said you would happily take both our punishments, was that all talk?" I hissed.