twenty-four

Lydia didn't want to be alone, so Stiles and I took her home with us. She was sprawled across the bed, her school stuff was everywhere, but she couldn't concentrate. While I tried to work on the essay that our English teacher gave us only two days for, Stiles was adding more and more pictures to his wall.

"What do the different colored strings mean?" Lydia asked. I turned in my seat and saw her playing with the yarn. She gently wrapped them around her fingers.

"Uh..." Stiles muttered. "Just different stages of the investigation. So green is solved, yellow is to be determined, blue's just pretty."

"What does red mean?"

"Unsolved."

"You only have red on the board," Lydia realized.

Stiles groaned and turned back around to face the strawberry blonde girl. "Yes, I'm aware. Thank you."

"Hey, I've been wondering. Did you get detention for pulling the alarm?" I asked him.

"Yes," he replied. "Every day this week. But it's okay, though. We were onto something."

"Even though we couldn't find any proof of Barrow being there," Lydia mumbled, her head dropping low.

"Hey, Lydia," Stiles said softly and knelt in front of her. "You've been right every time something like this has happened, okay? So don't start doubting yourself now."

"He's right, Lydia," I agreed and rolled next to Stiles on his chair. "You found all the bodies that were sacrificed. Without you, we couldn't have figured it all out."

"But there was no scent today, no bomb and I got Stiles in trouble."

"Okay, look. Barrow was there, all right? You knew it. You felt it. Okay? And look, if you wanted to, I'd go back to that school right now and search all night just to prove it," Stiles tried to cheer her up but it wasn't really working.

"And to what?" I asked. "We don't have his scent anymore. All I could smell were those chemicals."

Stiles was lost in his thoughts for a while. I could see the gears running in his mind. Lydia looked at me confused but I shook my head, showing her that it was normal for him to do that.

"Get up. Get up now! We're going to the school!"

"Why?" I asked, still sitting in the chair.

"Well, you said that you couldn't catch his scent, right?"

"Yes, because I could smell were those-"

"Chemical," Stiles interrupted me. "That's something okay. Why should you smell those? It makes no sense."

"But how should we get into school? It's locked," Lydia asked.

"Oh trust me. I know how to get into school."

"So what exactly are we looking for?" Lydia asked once we were in the chemistry class room. Stiles rushed to the back and opened the door to the supplies. "That was supposed to be locked."

"Yeah, I know. Notice anything else?" Stiles asked, putting the flashlight on his phone on.

"It smells like chemicals. I've never smelled it that excessive before," Lydia replied before she realized what was going on. "You wouldn't have been able to catch his scent," she said looking at me.

"It's too strong. That's why I couldn't catch his scent. But why?"

Stiles was still looking through the shelves, trying to find for another clue.