Chapter Seven Jules

Dedicated to LevetteMclaughlin and CristeneMankasingh 
_______________________________________________________________________________
October 5, 2004, Jessica Cannon's POV

    She's beautiful spinning and twisting. Everything to perfection, I need him to see how well I did, how beautiful she is. I need him to believe that she is cared for, but not a focus. I watch her taking in how others see her. They do not realize they are drawn to her innocence, purity, to the beauty she holds without even trying. A beauty that sets worlds on fire.

     "...Cannon everyone!" The announcer yells, and her rivals politely clap. But the rest of the room puts their all in, for my girl. My daughter, I made perfection. The clapping turns thunderous as she carefully twirls in her glamour dress, which is too much on her tiny frame. Bowing and blowing kisses to the audience. It is effortless, her arms straight but not too parallel lest they see the robotic ness. She flounces off the stage and only then does I turn to him, to see his reaction. His acceptance that I am worthy to hold his seed.

     "She is gorgeous, truly a beauty Jessica. Does she have promises yet, relations with others?" He asks near tearing his eyes away from her to look at me. But as he does the glimmer that she invokes fades in his eyes. And in his mind is pure glee, but glee from greed.

     "Relations? Hardly, Sir, she is only three. Who would promise this early on?" I ask with an air of naivety. And the subtle hardening of his eyes warns me of his displeasure.

     "All Elite children are promised Jessica, it is simply the way it is done. Just as you were once promised, to stay to take your place beside your intended." He says his words coming out haughty and the disgust in my running away for my destiny sours me to him. 'Turn back the conversation, before you lose him.'

     "She is ready now, I think. If you know a young boy interested in making promises, I will be sure to prepare her for him." I tell him and the golden look is back in his hazel eyes.

     "I know just the one. A boy from a strong parentage, will know his duty to the Elite and treat her accordingly. A luxury not many are afforded, you know." He says and I nod desperately trying to make her worthy in his eyes so that I am no longer tarnished. No longer unworthy of the Elite attention.

     "Was she all you expected," I ask touching the realm of what could have been if he was more inclined to share with me? But I know I asked too much, I overstepped my place, he is ready and thundering to lecture me-. Then that golden look only she can cause comes over his eyes.

     "She was more." He says simply like men like him always do. And I nod pleased watching him as he looks at the stage watching a mediocre performance from another little girl. Then he takes a breath in and pauses as a look of awe passes over his eyes and it settles on something behind us. I turn slowly as a realization that my chance to be worthy may have just died. Men like him are only satisfied with the top tier, with the absolute best. And she is perfection at her level, but she is not a goddess. One step below all she could be if I were worthy.

     "Mommy, they are going to give the crowns soon. Should I wait for Brooklyn to finish with her coach; so, we can go together?" Diana begins talking and the hollow hatred I feel whenever she is near almost swallows me. She is a barren wasteland, the cause of my ruin, the absolute shit stack of bad luck I have ever been saddled with. I open my mouth to berate her from interrupting my conversation with her stupid questions when he speaks.

     "Mommy?" He asks, and when he speaks something in her body goes on alert.

     "I'm sorry Sir, I didn't mean to interrupt, I just wanted to." She pauses at my ice-cold glare. And apologizes again with meaning this time, but this time she looks at me while she says it. Ignoring him completely, something I cannot do.