Home Is Where Your Heart Is

Start from the beginning

"Yes, alpha," said Woojin, the oldest pup in the group who was trying to set a good example.

The little pack of pups all took off together, nipping at each other's heels

Hoseok sat down in the grass next to Jungkook, pulling his knees up far enough to rest his arms on. "Remember playing like that?"

"I remember being chased a lot by Jimin-hyung," laughed Jungkook.

"Good times," said Hoseok, grinning widely.

"Yeah. What did you need to talk about?" Jungkook had a feeling he knew but he wanted to give Hoseok the chance to actually bring it up.

"We have some more wolves coming this weekend. They're looking for a new pack. Some are females."

Jungkook sighed and hung his head. "Hyung..."

"I know, I know. I'm not pushing you. But Ga-Eun wouldn't let me rest until I assured her that I would personally deliver the message to you."

"She worries too much."

"She's the Luna, what do you expect?" Hoseok leaned over and nudged Jungkook's shoulder.

"I know she's just looking out for me, but honestly, I'm happy the way I am. I can go do photography when I want, visit the other side of the mountain when I want. I'm free."

"Yeah, I get it. I enjoyed my freedom too, while it lasted. But I'm even happier having a mate. The bond we share...there are just no words for it, Kook. I can't help but want that for you, too."

Jungkook knew about the mating bond that was created when two werewolves who were meant for each other, finally found one another. He just never actively sought out a mate. Living with the vampire, Taehyung, for over half a century made him a very contented bachelor. Not to mention his first pack had been destroyed by Yoongi, a powerfully strong original vampire. That incident kind of settled his bachelorhood for him.

No, Jungkook was quite happy as the world's oldest, single werewolf in existence. He had no desire to settle down yet. He still had a few centuries left to live. Plenty of time to find a mate and settle down.

"So, you will come to dinner on Saturday night, right?" prodded Hoseok.

"Hyung," whined Jungkook.

"I love living, Kookie, and if you don't come, Ga-Eun is going to kill me, without mercy. Do you want that for me?" Hoseok pouted cutely and it made Jungkook giggle.

"No, I suppose not. Fine, I'll come. But don't expect me to sit around the fire and chat. If there's no clear connection, I'm out."

"Fair enough. By the way, how long has it been since you've been to the other side?"

Jungkook turned his head to the west, peering off into its hazy horizon. "It's been too long."

"I hope you know that you don't need my permission to go see your friends," smiled Hoseok. "Just be back by Saturday, hm?"

Jungkook laughed and shook his head. "Yes, oh most honorable Alpha."

Hoseok tried to look irritated but he simply ended up laughing. Standing up, he brushed off his pants and walked back towards the village.

"Better get going before the pups know I'm done talking to you," he called back over his shoulder.

Jungkook grinned and before Hoseok even made it halfway down the path, Jungkook had shifted and was charging across the river.

***

The west side of Blood Mountain had belonged to the vampire, Kim Taehyung, for centuries. After his removal as the Crown Prince of Joseon, he had chosen to live his life in solitude, keeping the weather on his side of the mountain cold and dark. Much like his heart.