::32::

"Thanks for babysitting," Alex told his family, handing them his son and his bag. He said goodbye and left. He opened the front door and sat in the front of the car.

   "Ready?" Ellen asked. He nodded with a smile and they began to drive. They parked in the parking lot next to the park, and stepped out of the car. Grabbing the picnic basket from the trunk, they walked over to a sunny spot and unpacked. They sat down and watched over the people passing.

"I'm glad we moved back here," Alex said, and Ellen smiled at him from where he was laying down. She copied him and they turned their heads to face each other.

"I am too," she replied. "It's great having your family close by."

"They're insane aren't they," he said, laughing.

"Yeah but it's only fitting that they're your family," she said, and he laughed. "How are you feeling about Nick and Mallory's wedding?"

"You know, it doesn't feel like the worst thing in the world anymore," he said, not wanting to admit that he was wrong. Ellen shook her head and rolled her eyes, closing them as she looked at the sun. She held an arm over her forehead and smiled. Alex loved the sight of his wife so content.

"Nicks grown on you. You just don't wanna admit it," she said. He shook his head.

"Maybe a little," he said. "But only because I know he's treating Mallory right."

"You're so protective," she teased. "Let her live her life."

"I am... mostly."

"Key word there. Mostly."

"Quit it," he teased, sitting up. "You look beautiful today."

"Thanks," she said with a wide smile. They sat and talked for a while, before packing up and taking a walk around the park. They held hands and talked, as they normally would.

   "I miss Jake," Alex said, and Ellen laughed. He looked at her with a confused expression.

   "Oh so we're those parents now," she said, and he laughed. "I miss him too."

   "Come on. Let's go home," he said. They drove home and walked in.

"How was your date?" Steven asked. Alex and Ellen smiled.

"It was great," they said. They sat on the couch and chatted with their family.
_______________________
Jennifer's high school graduation finally came, and Alex was sitting on his bed, arms crossed. Ellen finished putting her son in his outfit.

"Alex we have to go," she said. He slumped into the bed and she shook her head at his childish behavior.

"I don't wanna," he pouted. Ellen smiled and sat on the bed, handing him their son to cheer him up.

"Alex," she said. "I know you're upset that Jenn's graduating, but we have to go."

   "Ellen," he whined. "I don't want her to graduate."

   "She's going to college thirty five minutes away honey," she said. "We used to live a plane ride away."

   "I know," he said, standing up. She grabbed his hand and they left. They arrived at the school that Alex now taught at. They found their family and sat in their chairs. Steven began to pull his video camera out.

"Say hi everyone," he said, clicking the video button. Everyone waved at the camera. Soon, the ceremony began. They called students names, and they walked up to receive their diploma, cameras flashing and the crowd cheering.

"Jennifer Keaton," they called, and she walked up in her cap and gown. Her family cheered and she waved at them. She shook her principal's hand, and took her diploma. Nick leaned over from behind Alex to whisper to him.

"Aye Alex, do you need a tissue?" Nick asked.

"I'm not crying. There's just something in my eye," he replied, wiping his eyes. Ellen rolled her eyes, but gave Jennifer a thumbs up and a kind smile when she looked their way. Soon, the ceremony was over and the family met their graduate.

"How'd I do?" Jennifer asked with a smile. Everyone looked at her proudly, hugging her. She looked at Alex and ruffled his hair. He pulled her into a tight hug.

"I'm so proud of you," he said.

"Thanks Alex," she replied. They all stood together and asked someone to take their picture. The camera flashed and they all separated.

   "Come on. Let's go home," Mallory said.