::27::

"Hey there beautiful," Alex said as he walked into his bedroom to see Ellen reading. She looked up and patted the mattress. He sat down next to her, worn out from his long day at work.

   "Give me your hand," she said, making eye contact with him. He gave her a confused look.

   "Huh?" He said, but she only smiled at him.

   "Give me your hand," she repeated, and he connected his hand with hers like he usually would. She directed his hand to her stomach. "Wait a second."

   Suddenly, Alex felt movement under his hand.

   "Was that... did the baby just kick?" He asked. Ellen smiled widely and nodded her head enthusiastically. He then looked back down at her stomach in wonder and awe. "Whoa."

   "I know," Ellen said, looking down and still smiling.

   "And you just... feel that? Inside of you?" Alex asked, and Ellen giggled.

   "That's how it works honey," she said. He leaned down. Since it was her first pregnancy, her stomach was still on the smaller side.

   "Hi there," he said. "I can't wait to meet you."

   "I can't believe you of all people are using a baby voice," Ellen said, and Alex sat back up.

   "Well remember the time you first met Andy. To quote, 'I'm calling the police you're corrupting a minor,'" he said, and Ellen laughed, fondly remembering that day.

   "I do remember that," she said. He leaned against the headboard and she leaned her head on his shoulder. "In a couple of months we're gonna be parents."

   "I can't wait," Alex said childishly.

   "I can't either," Ellen said.

The next week, Ellen got back from the store. She had gone to pick up a few things. She walked in, and called out to her husband, but didn't receive an answer. Then, she heard something hit the floor. She walked towards the noise and saw Alex in what would soon be the nursery. He was attempting to put together a crib. Ellen smiled.

"Hi," she said, and Alex jumped. He turned around and smiled.

"Hey," he said with a wave. She walked in and he helped her sit down on the floor, then he sat back down next to her.

"How long have you been working on this," she asked him. He set his hand on his neck.

"Since you left," he said with a shrug. Ellen began to tear up.

"I love it," she said, and Alex panicked.

"No, no, no, don't cry," he said, and he hugged his wife.

"Sorry," she replied, shutting her eyes tightly. "Hormones."

"It's okay," he told her, taking his thumb and wiping her eyes. She smiled and tucked her head in his shoulder, making him laugh lightly. "Take your time."

"I love you," she said, wrapping her arm around his arm. "So, so much."

"I love you too," he replied. The two sat down on the floor of the room, completing the crib, and Ellen looked around the room.

"Can we paint it?" She asked excitedly. Alex looked at her.

"But we don't know if it's a boy or a girl yet," he said. Ellen gave him a look.

"So?" She said.

"Pink or blue," he continued, and Ellen rolled her eyes.

"Haven't you learned anything," she joked. "We should paint it light gray."

"I guess that would be okay," Alex said, looking around the room. "I'll go buy some paint. Do you want to grab your brushes?"

"Yes!" She exclaimed excitedly, ready to finally do some art. Alex laughed lightly as he walked to his car, and drove to the store. He picked up three cans of light gray paint, and paid for them. He got home, and they got to work. Alex turned towards Ellen and she moved her paint brush at that exact moment, causing his face to be met with wet paint. He opened his eyes and saw Ellen trying not to laugh. He smiled and dipped his hand in the paint, painting a streak across her face. She squealed at the gross feeling, and purposely dragged the pain brush down his face, and onto his shirt. They both laughed and he kissed her, using that moment to drag his paint brush onto the side of her face. They laughed, and continued painting the room.

   "One more thing," Alex said, before grabbing a permanent marker. He walked to the corner of the room, opened the lid, and began to write.

   Painted by Alex P Keaton and Ellen Keaton

   "Alex what are you doing?" Ellen asked lightheartedly.

   "Letting everyone know that this is our house," he said, turning around and holding his arms out wide to gesture around the house. Ellen smiled widely.

   "We have a house," she said.

   "We have a dog," he replied.

   "And a kid on the way," Ellen continued.

   "How domestic of us," Alex said, and the two laughed.