Joe felt angry then. Jonah had no right to that boy. No claim to him. He had given that away when he had tossed her letter into the fire and all but called her a whore.

                “Wake up, cowpoke.” Joe called out as she limped over and shook the boy’s leg, avoiding Jonah’s gaze. “We gotta get a move on.”

                Clayton woke up quickly and jumped to his feet as if he’d been shot out of a cannon. “Mama! Mama!” he exclaimed as he threw his arms around her waist. Joe patted him on the back. “I was so worried ‘bout ya but Jonah he knew just what to do. He cleaned yer leg and put some medicine on it… it stunk real bad!”

                “I’m just fine now, cowpoke. No need to worry ‘bout yer mama.” Joe assured the boy. She was more relieved than she had ever been before to know that he was okay and hadn’t gotten lost or hurt after she’d been taken. She only wondered whether or not Jonah had seen the similarities between himself and his son… Did he realize now that Joe had been telling the truth? And just how stupid did that make him feel?

                “We gotta get camp cleaned up and get out of here.” Jonah stated as he got to his feet and swiped the dirt off the back of his pants. “I’d like to get y’all home today….”

                “We don’t need no more help from you, Jonah. Ya can just go on back to doin’ whatever the hell it is ya’ve been doin’ fer the last five years.” Joe snapped and this earned her a sharp look from Clayton.

                Jonah’s face was unreadable as he stared hard at her and then he shook his head. “I promised the boy that I would get y’all home safe and I intend to keep my word.”

                Joe snorted and turned her back to Jonah as he began to clean up the camp. Who was he trying to fool by pretending to be noble and honorable? At one time Joe had thought he was the best man she knew but then he had turned his back on his own son and shown his true colors.

                “Mama, are you mad at Jonah?” Clayton asked with a puzzled line between his eyes. “I know them stories are ‘bout you and him…. You love him don’t you?”

                “Jonah has a big mouth!” Joe grumbled, saying the last two words much louder than was necessary and earning a grunt from that broad shouldered, tall, handsome man currently rolling up the blankets, and a chuckle from the one-eyed slightly lazy man lounging against a tree. “And no, I don’t love Jonah. I haven’t loved him in a really long time. It’s just me and you, cowpoke. That’s all we need.”

                Jonah threw his saddlebags over his shoulder and moved closer to Joe. His posture clearly meant to intimidate her. Joe threw her hair back and met his gaze full force.

                “I told the boy I was going to be a part of his life now so that’s what I intend to do.” He stated firmly. Joe opened her mouth to speak but Jonah beat her to it. “Whether you like it or not.”