Chapter 11-The Gala Night

Start from the beginning

Jessica looks at every dress looking at me. She nods and raises her eyebrows to every dress she thinks wouldn't look nice on me. She left me with three choices she thought would look best on me."You can select one of these three dresses to wear tonight."

"This must cost thousands." I look at the dresses and was stunned. It must be expensive as hell. When I used to read magazines and shop online I used to browse through prom dresses, party wear dresses and though I couldnt afford them I would just look at them and dream about wearing them. These dresses looked somewhat like the ones I used to see.

"Don't worry about it. David pays me well." Jessica says chuckling. David has already done me a lot of favors. I was conflicted. I am sure I can find something to wear from my closet."I don't know."

"We don't have much time. So I have three dresses for you. You can choose one which you like. You can try on each one of them to decide." Jessica glares at me and raised her voice a bit and I immediately agreed."Okay."

Jessica showed me the options she chose for me to wear for tonight. The dresses she showed were beautiful but my mind was on their prices. I would not be able to buy even one of them even if I saved up for months. David does a lot for me and I feel like I am using him for his money. I will have a talk with him about this later. I try on the dresses Jessica selected. I take a look in the mirror and she would describe the dress.

I don't know why I liked the second one the most. It felt like David would like it when I wear that."You are right. I like the second one the most." She helps me wear the dress and then gets on to hair and makeup. She lets my hair open and goes with the natural and minimal makeup as I insisted.
She puts on a clip on my hair and the mumbles."You look breathtaking. I am sure David will be speechless when he sees you."

I stood up to take a look at the mirror and I was surprised to see myself like this. For the first time, not only I looked good I felt beautiful. The dress was on another level and the hairstyling. Jessica was good at her job. It was loving to see me like this. I did feel like I was Cinderella from her ball. I wanted to see David's reaction to this. "Thank you, Jessica. It's all because of you."

"Don't underestimate yourself. It's your charm too. You know you are the first girl I helped." She smiles and I look back in the mirror. I can't believe my eyes. This is like a dream.

I didn't believe Jessica's words. I know he wasn't in a serious relationship with anyone except Maisha but he must have dates.
"You are kidding, right? He must have a date right. I am sure I am not the only one."

"Give yourself some credit and no he always used to go with his sister or Kathy. Now let's get a reaction from David. Shall we?" It made me feel special. Knowing that I was the only girl David is going to take me as his date made my heart flutter but that also made me uneasy because the expectations that will put upon me would be high. Everyone will look up at me as David's girlfriend, his date. There is a gut feeling which says to me that something is going to go wrong but I think I will be fine as long as I have David by my side.

David was waiting for me downstairs when we came out. As soon as he turned around. He couldn't stop looking at me neither could I. He looked so different in that white tux. For the first time, I saw his hair perfectly gelled and set. He had shaved and I could smell the cologne he usually wears. I smiled at him and stood in front of him. He didn't say anything.