Chapter 10: Dakota Knight

Start from the beginning

I try to take a soothing deep breath before walking into the already open front door. The motorcycles are deterrent enough.

I make sure my mouth hasn't dropped open as I look around the massive house. Their kitchen is gigantic. I don't have to travel too far into the house to see an opening to the backyard where about thirty people roam, dance, and chat on the grass and porch. 

Children sprint by my feet when I step by the threshold. That seems to happen when it comes to this group. Fiona turns around the yell at them, but she pauses instantly when she sees me. 

She instantly steps away from the most terrifying man I've ever seen in my entire life and bounces toward me. Soon, I'm wrapped up in a tight hug. She has no idea how much I needed that.

"I'm so glad that you are here!"

"Me too. Thank you for the invite."

"Come on, come on! Come meet my husband."

Fiona tugs me toward the scary man, wrapping him in an adorable side hug while he introduces himself as Reaper. Oh my goodness. 

Her tiny body compared to his huge one, that's so fucking cute. He's super friendly once we get to know each other a little and we're both more at ease about the situation.

"So, how'd she get you to come?"

"It didn't take much. I probably should have fought harder."

He breaks into a smile, watching her as she prances around with the crazy running children. I want someone to look at me like that.

"She's good like that. I'm glad she invited you though. I can finally put the face to the name."

"Yeah, the same goes for you. She talks about you a lot."

"Poison talks about you almost too much."

"So I've heard. Does he by any chance know that I was invited?"

"He does not," Reaper states with a smirk.

"Good. That's good."

He hums in reply, but I don't miss the spreading grin.

"I think I'm gonna go find him."

"You should, Dakota, he would appreciate that."

"It was good meeting you, Reaper."

"It was a pleasure."

I weave my way through the crowd, sipping on the non-alcoholic drink that Fiona had quickly shoved in my hands, but I can't see him. I go to the edge of the crowd and ferociously scan my gray eyes over the crowd.

"Are you looking for someone?"

A glance to my right to find a sweet couple standing close by to me, hand-in-hand.

"I am actually. Poison. I'm Dakota, so I uh, I wanted to say hi to him."

"Oh my goodness! I'm so glad to finally meet you! Fiona said you were coming, and I knew I needed to know you."

"Well nice to meet you..."

She scrunches her eyebrows, confused about what I'm searching for.

"Doll, she needs your name."

"I'm such an idiot. I'm Persephone. Behind me is my husband Alpha."

I hold out my hand for them both and shake their hands in a more formal greeting. You can tell he's in charge. He's probably the president.

"So, what's it like to be back home?"

"It's been good. I enjoy my job and the people here are so friendly."

"The MC tends to keep the not-so-good-ones out."

"Which I greatly appreciate. I remember growing up as a kid and having a group of people looking out for everyone, and to see that still happens, it's comforting."

"I agree. I'm biased, but you know, with what I've gone through it's relaxing to have a powerful group of men who will put up a fight for you, you know?"

"Exactly. It can get a bit exhausting."

Persephone smiles at me, squeezing my hands tightly in agreement. Alpha breaks the comfortable silence and points over to the fireplace.

"Dakota, I found your man."

"Thank you. We'll talk later?"

"Yes, of course."

I smile at both of them once more before leaving them in peace and heading over to Antonio. I hope he's glad I'm here. It would be awakened if he wasn't.