Chapter 11

New Discovery

The acrid smell of urine and dung filled Astro's nostrils, then the smell of fur as he gradually came to.

Little sounds filtered into his ears; a little fluttering here, mewling there, a bark, a whine, a voice!

His eyes snapped open and brought in a world of pain as the bright light hurt his eyes with a searing pain, burning so much that he had to shut them closed back again.

Then slowly he opened them, thus letting his eyes adjust better of their own volition.

With his eyes opened, his other senses also reluctantly started to work.

At first he could feel the cold metal of the table he was laying on and then there was a continuous pain across his spine as well.

That got him panicking and he tried to get up to his feet,

He did all but slid off the table but he couldn't fully support his own weight yet so he had to still hold onto the table for support.

His vision was still blurry, he couldn't really see anything clearly 'why can't I see clearly?' He kept thinking fearfully.

Then he stood upright, half leaning on the table with an arm. He stood still and listened.

It was still the same muffled sounds he heard,

'wait, a new one, a door opening, footsteps receding?, no approaching!' He thought and panicked.

"Hey you shouldn't be up yet, are you ok?", came a muffled voice.

He felt an outstretched hand reaching for him and his instincts kicked in immediately,

He reached out for the hand in a bid to grab it, spin around and fling the person across his shoulder thereby slamming the person on the floor.

But instead he found himself just grabbing the hand and falling to the ground with new pain flaring all over his body as he was still weak and not fully healed yet.

The hand now grabbed him sturdily and helped him back up on the table with the help of another set of hands,

'wait there are two people?' He thought in a painful haze of other jumbled thoughts.

"Lie down... heal some more... this will help" another deeper voice said still muffled and not getting any clearer.

Then he felt a sharp piercing pain join the other ones he was having but to be followed by relief this time then murkiness and the lull of sleep took him off into unconsciousness.

***

'I am in a veterinary clinic'; this was the clear thought and realization that came straight to Astro as he once again came back to awareness.

This time though, things were much clearer and he knew for a fact that he was indeed in a hospital for animals.

The sounds came to him clearer and the smell was as well stronger,