𝟑𝟏

David's Pov

"It must be hard keeping all this from your wife." Stella ventured as she followed me out of the hospital and down the driveway to the curb where I parked my car.

Hands shoved deep in my pocket, I glanced up at the blanket of clouds that stretched across the flaming sky. It had been a stressful day but at least the air was refreshing. "It is." I finally answered. "But it's still a necessary evil."

"It doesn't have to be." She suggested, causing me to spare her a sardonic glace. Her eyes were as heavy and weary as mine. She was tired too. She shrugged. "You could tell her."

I blew out a tight breath. "Everyone wants me to do that but they all fail to realize it's not as easy as it sounds."

"If you love someone, you don't keep secrets from them. It's a simple rule."

"Sometimes it's easier to lie to the one you love than see them hurt," I rationalized, leaning my hip into the rear of my car.

"But that doesn't make it right." She countered, standing in front of me. "You only just end up prolonging the inevitable that way."

I looked at her, silently studying her form.

"What?" Her eyes twinkled.

"Nothing," I shook my head and chuckled softly. "You're probably right. I'm just scared."

"And I understand that." She pointed, tucking her hair behind her ear. "As a woman, hearing something like this would make me disappointed. I'd feel betrayed and heartbroken but I'll forgive you because the circumstances surrounding your decisions aren't solely your fault."

My brow rose in inquiry. "How?"

"I admit, after finding out the hell you put Stacey through just to have her get rid of your child, I hated you. When she died during childbirth, I cried my eyes out and swore at you but reading that journal and understanding what happened made me feel sorry for you. It almost feels like your life has been rigged from the very beginning to leave you lonely and heartbroken at the end. It's like a lose-lose game. It's saddening really."

I smiled, Intrigued by her analysis. "It's comforting to have someone understand me. If only my wife shared the same inkling as you." I sighed as the disappointment of that fact weighed on me. "Sadly, she doesn't."

"You can never know. Just try. She might understand you too."

"You think so?"

She nodded. "Although it might take a little more convincing since you've practically been outright lying to her face for some weeks now."

I exhaled and rubbed my hands over my face. "God, I feel like the biggest douche bag on the whole planet."

"Maybe not the whole planet." She chortled, spreading her arms apart. "You look like you could use a hug."

Yes, I could. A big one.

I pushed to my feet. "A fair warning, I might crush you with the weight of all my worries."

She smiled and did that open-close action with her fingers that gestured for me to come. "Give me the best you've got."

Without relenting, I accepted her invitation and hugged her. She was warm, and smelt nice. It was calming.