𝟏𝟎

Dawn's Pov

"I think Jacob wants to screw you."

I choked on my drink, the burning liquid flying up my throat and singeing everything in its path. "Jesus Christ, Becky, are you insane?" I croaked, glaring daggers into her corrupt, uncensored soul.

"What?" She shrugged with feigned innocence. "You and I both know he's been staring at you since we walked into this club. And look." She motioned with her shot of fireball to the circular bar just ahead. "He's still staring. It's clear he's undressing you with his eyes."

"You're delusional, he isn't," I deadpanned, still refusing to believe that Jacob found me interesting enough to stare, plus I didn't care if he did. I was in a space right now where the only thing I needed was a few shots and then my bed.

"Come on." She nudged me with her elbow. "Admit it."

"Maybe he's looking at you or someone behind me," I shrugged and tilted my head to take another shot. It went down my throat in a flaming line. I felt relaxed, relieved; a lot better than I was when I'd stepped in.

I picked up my third shot and looked around. That was when my eyes met his. While everyone else watched people gyrate and shimmer on the dance floor, my one-time crush clad in a grey shirt and black pants watched me intently with a look of intrigue on his face.

I adverted my gaze back to my table when my phone suddenly buzzed.

David: where are you, my love. I miss you and I need you right now.

I dropped my phone and heaved out a suffering sigh. Right now, I wasn't at all sure about my decision to do this anymore. I mean, I felt terrible for leaving David that way but what else could I do to make him see that I meant this and he couldn't just cover it up by being romantic?

All I wanted was his honesty, nothing else.

Ugh. I picked up my phone and opened the message chan, about sending him a message when Becky nudged me again.

"We have company."

I looked up from my phone and my eyes widened when I saw Jacob approaching our table.

"Ladies."

My heart skipped two beats.

"Jacob." I croaked, clearing my throat right after. "It's so nice to see you."

"Likewise, Montgomery." Under the colored lights, I could his amused, sardonic smile. "I have to say, you look stunning."

A hue of red brushed my cheeks. "You're not bad yourself."

"What am I?" Becky chipped in. "A blob?"

Jacob laughed heartily. "You're stunning too Rebecca. You've always been." His gaze shifted to me. "Care to join me for a drink at the bar?"

His sudden question caught me by surprise and I blinked.

"Um," I cleared my throat. "I'm not sure I should."

The smile on his mighty fine face dropped. "Why?"

"Well," I turned to Becky, trying to make up a quick excuse but nothing was coming. "Well, um." Shit. "My alcohol limit sucks and I'm driving today so..."

He chuckled. "That's nothing to worry about." He stretched out his arm for me to take. "Just a few shots and I'll make sure you don't go home drunk."

I stared at his hand and looked back up at his face. As much as my head screamed a big no at his suggestion, my lips said otherwise and I was probably going to regret this later but for now, it didn't matter. "Sure."