𝟒𝟏

Dawn's POV

A rumble of thunder roused me from my sleep for the fourth time and I groaned, burrowing my head deeper into my pillow.

It was hard to fall asleep with all the sparks and rumbling going on. Even the trees seemed to have joined the mother earth parade because they scuffed against my window, irritating my ears to a point of no return.

Lightening struck again and a clap of thunder followed, almost sending my heart jumping out of my chest.

Fed up, I struggled to sit up as quickly as a woman that was seven months pregnant could and rested my back against the headboard before reaching for my bedside lamp to turn it on.

The room glowed bright pink. I turned to glance at the bed space by my side that was empty because David had offered to sleep on the couch.

Even if I didn't mind him sleeping on the same bed with me, I found it cute that he was willing to do so, and I didn't bother protesting but now I wish I did.

Releasing a heavy breath, I swung both my aching legs over the bed and hustled my way up the mattress. With my hands on my belly, I shuffled into the bathroom and relieved myself. Once I managed to clean up and get off the toilet seat, I washed and walked out and before I could stop myself I was walking out of my room and ambling toward the living room where the lights were still on.

Much to my surprise, David was awake, sitting on the couch with his legs crossed over my coffee table. He had a pregnancy book in his hand and he looked engrossed in reading, so beguiled that he didn't notice my presence.

I watched him for a second, wondering what went through his head as he read, but then I cleared my throat, breaking the silence.

His eyes snapped up immediately and he blinked, closing the book. "Dawn."

A delicious warm feeling flooded my stomach. I cleared my throat again. "You're still awake."

He dropped his legs down and placed the book on the coffee table. "Yeah." He scratched his neck and eyed the couch. "It's kind of hard to fall asleep on a couch considering I've never slept in one before." He pointed out, reminding me of just how different our lives were. "What about you?" He asked. "Why are you up?

"The rain keeps interrupting me and my body aches, adding to my misery."

"I'm sorry about that." He shifted for me on the couch. I walked to it and sat next to him. It had only been an hour or so yet my couch already smelt like him.

"Where hurts?" He all of a sudden asked, making me look up to meet his eyes.

"Everywhere," I told him honestly. "My feet mostly. It's exhausting standing for too long."

His eyes roamed my body. "Is there anything I can do to help? Maybe give you a massage?"

I smiled at his thoughtfulness but shook my head. "You don't have to. I'll be alright."

"I want to." He persisted. "I want to make you feel better any way I can." He got up from the couch and lowered himself onto the floor, the sight making my heart flutter.

"David..."

He sat comfortably and folded his legs in a crisscross manner before looking back up. "Mm?"

My body tensed. "You really don't have to."

"Don't sweat it. If you're worried I'll hurt you, I know what I'm doing." He reassured me with a cheeky grin that made my heat flood my cheeks.