#30: GREAT ESCAPES

Start from the beginning

"I apologize", Fineil stood up and faced the wall.

Eleanor was puzzled by the heavy look on their faces. "Hello! It seems that everyone is already rejoicing that our princess is here. You had pulled all-nighters to figure out who was pulling the strings", Ren entered twirling and showing off a fury coat he got from the North.

"And yet the Crown Prince took the cake of being the knight in shining armor", Ren added insult.

Stupid Clown?!

"You did... What?", Eleanor looked at them.

"Who cares who took the credit? Everything went well", Jenos leaned on his chair.

"Then, High Council Fineil. Regarding my position in the Council... Are you keeping me out of this place because I'm a wo-", Eleanor's reckless statement was disturbed when Jenos slapped the papers they were about to discuss. "Are we just going to waste time here? I have a lot of things to do", Jenos said with irritation.

"Tch. You talk highly when the fact is that you're the newest", Ren slapped his brother's head. They argued for quite some time.

Eleanor gazed at the three empty chairs in the room. As of this time, there are 4 official High Councils in the Capital.

Fineil, the leader.
Ren, the secretary.
Rufus, the council for the audit.
Jenos, the representative of the capital Council.

The rest of the members have mysteries in their disappearances.

After the discussion, Eleanor stayed and watched Fineil silently walk around the room.

"Council Fineil", Eleanor called him out

"My decision is absolute", Fineil said without even listening further. Eleanor thought it was wise to keep quiet this time. "Cats are surrounding you this time", she said and pouted. She gave a short laugh to herself. If not having flower as ornaments, the High Council is being surrounded by animals. 

Council Building Dining Hall

Eleanor entered and saw hostile stares from the other council members and apprentices.

She breathed deeply and sat at an empty table. The food in the council building is quite nutritious. The cook must have put a lot of thought with regards to their diet.

"May I take my seat here, Council Eleanor? ", she looked up and saw a new face.

"Of course. The table is wide for one person to use", Eleanor forced a smile. He doesn't look like a council member or an apprentice.  "It's a shame that you know my name but I haven't heard about you", Eleanor shrugged. "I guess the rumors were wrong", the white hair and scarlet-eyed man covered his mouth to laugh. Eleanor looked around and saw people murmuring. "Ah~ birds of the same flock", Eleanor heard.

"I'm a guard of the Council Building. My name is Kiel. I just pushed my luck to have a small conversation with you. I'll be leaving then", Kiel took his tray and was about to stand. "Stay. I bet it's better to eat with someone", Eleanor permitted.

"I can smell some

"I can smell some... hostility here. Don't worry. I mean, I know most of it is for me", Eleanor chuckled and ate the broccoli. "When I heard that Duke Varian's daughter was here, I felt quite relieved", Kiel suddenly opened. In contrast to his tough look, he speaks with the voice of a delicate person. His voice mostly breaks because he doesn't have the opportunity to practice talking with someone.

"You're the daughter of the one who bathes this place with blood", Kiel said straightforwardly. A hand dropped on Kiel's shoulder.

"High Council. I will leave right away", Kiel was frightened to see the High Council. He got up right away and left.

"High Council, want to eat with me?", Eleanor invited.

"You always end up concerning yourself with peculiar people", Fineil took her offer and sat in front of her. The crowd turned into stone and acted in their most proper manners.

"High Council, why is Kiel the only one with a different uniform?", Eleanor asked.

"You like sticking your nose everywhere. Well, it's not a secret in this place. Kiel is a slave of this place", Fineil informed. "Slave?", Eleanor remembered how neat he looked.

"Not that kind of slave", Fineil seems to see through her thoughts. "As long as this building stands, he will never be able to leave", Fineil added.

"Why is that so? I believe this kingdom already abolished slavery", Eleanor furrowed her brow.

"He's a remnant of the previous generation of the Council", Fineil said with bitterness in his tone.

Chapter end.