#37: The Sight of Your Back

House of Franciscans

Pavillion

Eleanor felt warming up as they were isolated from the crowd. "There, I saw your previous self. I somehow missed that side of you", Xylan had a small smile which Eleanor saw from the Crown Prince's side view. She was taken back and stopped walking behind Xylan. The man wondered what made her stop. He turned and paused at the sight of Eleanor's back. The lady bent down to watch the fish on the pond. "Kois. I never thought I would see them again", she felt like crying. She tried to reach but Xylan pulled back her arm. "You're prone to falling in random places", he sighed and assisted Eleanor to stand. The lady was getting confused with his gentleness. 

"Why did you call me here, Your Highness?", Eleanor went back to the main reason why the two of them are alone

"Why did you call me here, Your Highness?", Eleanor went back to the main reason why the two of them are alone. There is no sight of guards as well. "If something happens, who would you choose? Me or my brother?", Xylan didn't waste time. Eleanor felt a cold breeze on her spine. She knew there was something odd about Keane and Xylan. "It's not clear, Your Highness. What do you mean?", Eleanor hoped to buy time to think for an answer. "If a conflict arises in this Empire and the people question who should be sitting on that throne, who will you side with?", Xylan didn't hesitate to speak. "I wish not to answer, Your Highness. It's because I believe that it wouldn't happen. Your brother, Prince Keane, respected the decision of the Emperor and lived peacefully. He's soon to build a name of his own", Eleanor said with a firm voice. 

"If it's you, I somehow feel the need to believe", Xylan's eyes softened. Eleanor reached out to Xylan's arm to give it a gentle pat. "You'll be just fine. Your Highness. You have powerful people supporting you. I will also be there to give my support so you don't have to worry", Eleanor felt like closing her mouth because if she speaks more, she might say something unnecessary. "But, I can't help but think about Prince Keane as well. He always smiles and rarely do I see other expressions from him. At times, it felt like his smiles have different meanings", Eleanor revealed. She looked at her hand gripping on Xylan's sleeves and flinched. She let go and made a generous distance. "I mean, I know he is not capable of hurting you. He cares deeply for you so you don't have to think that he might rebel or something like that", Eleanor panicked and wanted to hit herself for saying such words. 

Xylan covered his mouth and let out a short laugh. It was not like every day to see the once arrogant woman be fazed like how she is now. "Just like what father said, you're interesting to look at", Xylan smiled. His smile caught Eleanor's attention and she managed to compose herself back. She paused for a while and sat on a nearby chair. Xylan did the same. They could see Gilbert and his wife dancing in the distance. The music reached their ears and it was a perfect time to rest their tired minds. "You'll be like that someday, Eleanor", Xylan broke the silence. "You'd be tied to someone and will no longer jump from one person to the other", Xylan made it sound like he was going to lecture on her. Eleanor just nodded and did not attempt to defend herself. 

"Your Highness", Eleanor shifted to a position where she could face Xylan squarely. "Kiel asked me what I plan on doing after. Oliver also teased me about not being asked from any house", Eleanor opened. "My brother likes you a lot. I guess it's more than liking", Xylan revealed. Eleanor flushed and looked down at her clasped hands resting on her lap. "How can I even face Aileen if I answer to his feelings", Eleanor sighed. "It will not be long until my coming of age, Your Highness", the lady breathed deeply.