#35: Across the Ocean

Port

Eleanor wore a commoner's dress

Eleanor wore a commoner's dress. "And is this supposed to hide your identity?", she smiled as soon as she heard the voice. Turning around, she saw Kiel.  "You're quite prepared. I was hoping you could spend more time at the mansion", Eleanor scratched her nape. Kiel gave a weak smile and reached out to Eleanor's shoulder. He flinched at the sight of someone behind at let go of her shoulder. "Don't mind me", Fineil crossed his arms. "Head Council. Thank you for taking care of me", Kiel bowed very low. "You're finally free. Make sure you won't waste the effort that Eleanor poured on the law she abolished", Fineil threw a neatly folded cloak to the lad. "What is this?", Kiel caught it. "It's your father's keepsake", Fineil said before leaving. Kiel's eyes warmed and shifted his focus on Eleanor who was just smiling.

 Kiel's eyes warmed and shifted his focus on Eleanor who was just smiling

"The head council arranged this whole voyage. I insisted on plotting the course of your travel but he said I am too ignorant of the world. Since he's more knowledgeable about it, I'll just let him have the credits", Eleanor gave a thumbs up. "How about you? Lady Eleanor. What do you plan on doing a month from now, a year from now, and so on?", Kiel's question made Eleanor's hype slump into a deep sigh. She forced a laugh and slapped Kiel's back. "I'll keep on atoning. I'll keep on making up with people", Eleanor pushed a carved crane to Kiel. "Go. Kiel. If you stay more, I might drag you back", Eleanor stepped back. Kiel furrowed his brow to stop himself from crying but couldn't take it when Eleanor waved at him. "For someone low like me, thank you for setting me free", Kiel bowed very low and stayed there for a long time. He looked up and saw that Eleanor was no longer there. Kiel smiled and wiped his tears. 

Merchant Shops

Eleanor held tight on her chest. She felt guilty for leaving out of the blue but she couldn't think of a better way to send him off. If she stayed just couple more seconds, she might drag Kiel away from the port. He already gathered his guts to leave the Kingdom and explore the world that was taken away from him. She saw interesting weapons in a particular shop. She was startled to see a gun. "Wait, this is a gun?", she picked it up. "Careful, young lady. That's not a toy", the merchant flinched as the odd-looking man picked up a dangerous weapon. "Exactly. Why is it displayed here so openly?", Eleanor gasped and ran away from the store.