#27: Assured By Your Words

Alley 

Keane was about to thrust his sword when a hand grabbed it. "A righteous man doesn't raise his sword to an innocent soul", Charles quoted. The man in the hood scurried off and knelt in front of Charles.

"Mercy. Sir. I beg for mercy. I have no idea what he is asking me of".

It was a broker from the black market. Keane went there since the level of poison used was expensive and could knock off a person within an hour if drunk in large volumes. His face was all bruised due to Keane's continuous punches. If the Royal Guards hadn't roamed in the area, he would have been dead by now. The guards kept pushing each other to stop the prince. Fortunately, Charles was also there to monitor.

"You are free to go", Charles allowed. Keanne looked at him with a glare. "Are you not worried about your daughter?", Keanne clenched his fist.

"She's my precious daughter and you accuse me of such words", Charles kept a straight face but his lips bled trying to keep his calm. "And yet, there is a proper way to let her out of the prison. That is to prove her innocence. Your Highness, your brother, the Crown Prince had already ordered the aid of the Council, Merchants, and Palace Servants to search for the poison's source. We just have to do our parts as well", Charles bowed.

Prison Cell

15th day of being imprisoned

15th day of being imprisoned. I wonder what Dad is doing right now. His Majesty said that he was not allowed to enter the Palace premises.

If he goes berserk, he might kill everyone in the Palace. That's what His Majesty was thinking of.

"Have you grown accustomed to the scent and the cold cement?", Aileen entered with a lamp.

"You've been visiting me lately. Could it be that you miss me?", Eleanor chuckled. "How can you be so calm? Anytime soon, an assassin might sneak in and take your head", Aileen stood in front of the iron bars. "Be killed eh?", Eleanor stretched her limbs. "That is indeed a tragic way to die", Eleanor sighed.

"Aileen. Since you're here, want to stay and listen to my story?", Eleanor faced her. Aileen didn't respond.

"In my dreams, I also died. It wasn't a tragic one though. I died as a hero. One person tried to jump off a very high place, I happened to be in the same place. I grabbed her hand and lifted her so that she could reach the ground. In my effort to do so, I pushed my way down and ended up being the one falling", Eleanor stood up and walked towards Aileen.

"It was so realistic. I felt the warm blood mixed with the water where I was drowning. I'm losing oxygen and my arms are too weak to move. It was dark and soon, water entered my nose and my mouth. I was suffocating myself from panicking. After a long struggle, I finally accepted that there's nothing else I could do", Eleanor held onto the iron bars.

"I wonder if you will wake up from another dream once your head gets chopped in the guillotine", Aileen said after listening. "Ahk. You really know what to say", Eleanor smiled. "How can you smile in the midst of this?", Aileen gave up and turned around. "I told you that I never wanted to be the Empress. Even after the long conflict, I still wanted my mother to at least tell me that I did what I could. So, when you held my hand, I also wish that someone would assure him that he did more than enough", Aileen held on the iron bars with teary eyes. "Prince Keane will be safe, Aileen. I know that His Highness will not allow his brother to be accused wrongly", Eleanor assured.