"Yes, thank you." I say as I hang up.

"So... eight o'clock?" Eddy asked, finishing the glass of water.

I nod, "Eight o'clock. C'mon, let's eat something first."

He smiled weakly, and it was only when he moved toward me did I realize that his skin was so much paler than before. It was almost a paper white. My heart ached then, wondering what could have happened to drain the color from his skin like that.

- - - - -

cancer cancer cancer cancer cancer cancer cancer cancer cancer cancer lungs cancer cancer cancer cancer cancer advanced cancer cancer cancer cancer cancer no cure cancer cancer cancer cancer cancer I'm sorry cancer cancer cancer cancer cancer I'm sorry cancer cancer cancer cancer cancer I'm sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorrysorry sorry

"Love..." Eddy said softly, taking my hand into his and squeezing it weakly.

I force myself to look at him then, at first seeing him in all his beauty – his hair shining, his eyes glowing, his cheeks blooming – and then, seeing him now – all trace of life not in sight.

I clear my throat, but no voice comes when I say, "Yes, love?"

He smiles weakly, "I should've... I should've told you." He said apologetically.

When we got to the hospital, I found out that doctor Schwartz was an oncologist. And I wasn't ignorant enough to not know what that meant.

We didn't go there for a diagnosis, we were there for a check-up.

"I just... I didn't want you to worry." Eddy said, tears leaving his eyes, leaving visible streaks on his paper white cheeks.

I shook my head, "I should've realized sooner. It should've been obvious. We've been living together for years. I... I knew something was wrong, I felt it. But..." I was crying now too, frustrated with myself.

Eddy's hand moves up to my cheek, his thumb brushing away a tear, "Love... Do not blame yourself. We all want to believe everything is okay. And that's what I wanted. I wanted to believe it wasn't going to be this ugly."

Doctor Schwartz gave Eddy the option to stay at the hospital or to receive treatment at home. He opted to be treated at home. He strongly expressed his want to live his last days in the home that we had built.

In a matter of hours, our living room was transformed into a hospital room, complete with all the machinery that Eddy would need if things ever got even worse than they already were.

Doctor Schwartz was kind enough to even assign two of his best residents to stay here with us. Having them here makes it more real, but it also brings some level of comfort. Because I sure as hell wouldn't know what I'd do in case something terrible were to happen – and I'm told it will.

"Love..." Eddy whispered, tugging on my wrist.

"Yes, love?" I ask, moving closer to him.

"Send them away." He said, weakly pointing toward the residents who were in the dining room, having some coffee to keep themselves awake and alert.

"Why?" I ask, worried Eddy was planning something reckless.

"I want to be alone with you." He said, biting nervously on his lip.

I looked into his eyes and understood what he meant, "I'll... I'll see what I can do."

I go to the dining room and clear my throat, "He... he's asking if you could step out for a while."