2. For serenity

¶¶
If you have only one smile in you, give it to the people you love. Don't be surly at home, then go out in the street an start grinning 'good morning' to total strangers ~ Maya Angelou

¶¶
~~~

“You guys already met Miss Lucy,” Jessica said, and everyone at the table laughed.

Every table had ten chairs — five on both sides. She, Jessica, Emily and Grace were seated with their backs to the doorway while the rest sat across them. 

Their table, though, looked like it was at the center of the hall and aside that, everyone wanted to hear what she and Emily had to say. Even Opeoluwa appeared interested. Everyone except Joel. But that wasn't what bothered her. What did was the fact that people from other tables were also staring at them, hoping to pick up something — anything — from their table. That was what had her feeling uneasy.

Isabelle has always hated being in the spotlight; the popularity. The attention. It freaked her out, but Emily loved it.

Emily enjoyed being the centre of attention and that was who she was. She was the jovial kid everyone knew while Isabelle was the best friend in the shadows. And Isabelle has always preferred it that way.

Sitting at Jessica's table had seemed like a good idea in the first few seconds; but after a while, Isabelle grew uncomfortable.

“The freak that smiles her head off. But as soon as you turn your back, she's like a bedtime monster,” Emily ranted off.

“That's an impressive description,” Bankole mused.

“Spot on.” Jessica clapped in celebration.

“Clever as a fox.” Grace clapped Emily's arm with a giggle.

“I try,” Emily feigned a nonchalant shrug. “Although, Issy and I were arguing: who's creepier? Miss Lucy or Mr. Stan?”

“Emmy,” Isabelle called.

Isabelle wanted to warn Emily not to say much. Jessica and her friends seemed like nice people. But that didn't change the fact that this was a new environment and it was best not to get into trouble just by speaking out of place.

“It's fine,” Jessica placed a reassuring hand on Isabelle's shoulder. “You won't get punished for speaking your mind.”

Isabelle sunk back in her seat with a simper. 

“But your question, Emily, remains unanswered till this day,” Jessica said, and they were interrupted by a girl with glasses.

She was dark-skinned and looked about their age. Isabelle was sure she saw her in class too. The girl was amongst the few that were actually paying attention in class.

“Your note,” the girl said and handed one notebook to Jessica and the other to Grace. 

“Why thank you, Jemina.” Jessica smiled and collected the book. “You're such a darling.”

Jemina pushed up her glasses and plastered a quick smile as she appeared to be waiting for further instructions.

“Here you go, Issy,” Jessica handed her note to Isabelle.