Chapter 20: And So, It Begins

Start from the beginning

"You think so?"

Chiyo nodded. "Time heals all wounds. Some longer than others, but eventually, they will."

"I heard from Mai that the decoy procession was attacked as well at the switchbacks. Were you hurt anywhere? Is your leg fine?" Zuko held both her arms firmly and checked her once over, brows furrowed with worry.

"I'm fine!" She laughed over his fussing. "Though I may have ruined the outer kimono that Lady Reiko lent me."

Now that they were in the safety of the palace walls, Zuko had the time to fully see her as she is now. Back in the site of the ambush, he was briefly stunned by how she looked after paralyzing a man about to attack his family and tossing him off the fallen logs.

Truth be told, he felt paralyzed as well right now, just by looking at her dressed fittingly, mesmerizing like a princess of the Fire Nation.

"I can buy you a thousand dresses and more, if you'll let me."

He couldn't help himself as he leaned down and kissed her deeply. One of his hands wound around her waist to pull her closer against him, the other snaked through her tresses to tilt her head up, giving him more of her lips to claim.

Her eyes slid close as she returned his passion, letting the tension of the morning's events go as they sought the warmth of each other's embrace.

Zuko pushed her up against one of the tall pillars and his lips found their way to her neck, sucking and nibbling at the soft skin beneath her ear.

Chiyo bit her lower lip to keep from moaning licentiously at the inexplicable pleasure she felt. Butterflies raged inside her entire body to the tips of her feet, wanting nothing more than to feel more of this warm sensation, more of his warm touch and kisses.

"Stay the night..." He whispered, his hot breath against her ear as he nipped at the delicate, reddening lobe gently. "We can have... dessert after dinner."

"A-ahh... D-dessert?"

"Mhmm..." He hummed teasingly as lips traced the curve of her ear, taking note of delicious shiver she made as he did so. "Something sweet... or perhaps, you want something else?"

She felt the familiar rush of blood to her cheeks, warm at his words, her imagination running wild at the thought of what that "something else" entailed.

But before she lost all sense and rational thought, she shook her head. "I-I can't..."

Zuko pulled away to gaze deep into her eyes, a palm cupping her cheek, thumb running across the blush on them. "Why not?" He could barely restrain himself as he saw her flushed expression, lips parted slightly as her breath came in slow heaves. Her hair had fallen of their pins and braid, now hanging messily down over her shoulders and back.

"I... I have to get back to the troupe quarters. Lady Vira's orders."

Something akin to resentment and anger crossed his face. Chiyo saw his jaw clench and unclench as if he was deeply troubled and was having an inner argument with himself.

She lifted hand up to appease him, placing it gently on top of his chest, against his racing heartbeat that mirrored her own. "I'll be back soon... They're starting to plan my coming-of-age party, and debut as a full-fledged entertainer."

"So soon?"

Chiyo nodded. "My eighteenth birthday is in two months, but they're planning the debut as early as now. I'll be practicing new routines for sure... a-and—"

"Is it really that important?" He couldn't stop the bitterness from coloring his tone.

She blinked, stunned at his sudden change. "Y-yes... I mean, t-this is what I have been training for my whole life!" Chiyo smiled awkwardly, hoping to diffuse the tension. "A-and soon, I will follow Lady Suiren's footsteps and become the greatest entertainer in the Fire Nation—"