I had to admit, reading Stacey's journal did help me feel at ease; knowing she surrounded herself with people who genuinely loved and cared for her made the guilt I felt lessen.

"That little girl has always been strong-willed, I can't believe she did this after knowing what was at stake." Mother shook her head pitifully. "Take me to the child, I want to see him."

I didn't utter a word, I just led her through the next hallway to his room and walked in with her following behind.

Stella approached me. "David I'm so glad you're back, Alex has been asking for you, and I—" she halted and shifted her gaze away from me.

"Mrs. Amanda. Oh my, I wasn't expecting to see you."

Mother smiled. "It's been too long, Stella."

"Dad?"

All heads turned to the bed. I walked away from both women and settled by my son. 

I hated how tired his grey eyes looked. "Hey buddy, how are you feeling?"

He shut his eyes and took in a shallow breath. It looked like so much pain to do so and seeing him struggle like this made my heart ache. "I want to go home," he slowly fluttered his eyes open once more and looked at me. "I want to go home with you."

My breath quickened. I reached for his hand and gently squeezed. "You will, Alexander. Once you win this fight, we'll go home and then travel the world together. Just you and me."

He blinked. "Promise?"

I brought his cold hand to my mouth and kissed it. "Cross my heart and hope to die." I caressed his knuckles. "I brought Grandma here with me and she's excited to see you." 

The conversation between Stella and my mother stopped. When I turned from Alex to look at them, I noticed they both had teary eyes.

"Mother." I urged her with a gesture of my hand to come forward. She did instantly and stood before Alex with a look of admiration on her face.

"He looks just like you, David." Her words were soft. She sat by the other edge of the bed and took his hand in hers. "So handsome."

"I know." I smiled down at him. "And he's a fighter too." Just like his mother.

The door suddenly opened and Doctor Anthony stepped in with a smile on his face. "Mr. Argent, a word."

Curious, I turned to Alex. "I'll be right back."

He nodded and I kissed his head before letting go and walking to the door.

"What's the problem?"

When we stepped outside, his smile widened. "Congratulations Mr. Argent, the test results are out and you are compatible for the transplant."

The shock of his news barreled me back a few paces. I blinked, feeling my heart pulse out of control. "I'm compatible..."

Dawn's Pov

I tried not to think too much about what had happened this morning or last night, or all the other days when David had been acting strangely towards me.

After the utter disappointment and embarrassment he put me through, I willed myself to work and forced myself to go on with my day as normally as I could. And It seemed to be working just fine until Paula called and fed me with news that put the cheery on top of my dilemma.

For the rest of the day, my heart soaked with sadness, unrest, and confusion, but I decided I wasn't going to react until I got home and had David tell me his side of his story.