Chapter 23 - Fragile

Depuis le début

The women waited for their elder to make the move, but when she could barely step forward, they went ahead of her. Calliope joined them in her own time, plopping down on her high-backed armchair. It engulfed her, a far cry from the power she had exuded at the Council meeting.

"Marina, be a dear and prepare some tea if you wouldn't mind," Calliope instructed. She rested her head against the back of the chair and took a deep breath. "Now, tell me, what are you lovelies doing here?"

"Something...something happened last night," Aura started, looking around the room. "We can't exactly explain it, but we know it's not a good sign."

Calliope remained solemn. Her face betrayed no sign of emotion as she waited on them to continue. Ivy watched her with fascination. Is this what her grandmother might look like? She never had seen photos of anyone else in the family. Her mother never talked about her parents or other relatives, which left Ivy's mind to wonder and wander. When her eyes made it to Calliope's bony hands, she realized how fragile they looked. One wrong gesture and her bones could break.

"I started a storm," Ivy blurted out, covering her mouth with a hand after it slipped out. Calliope's eyebrow twitched, but her mouth stayed closed. "We were all arguing as everything just escalated. One moment it was sunny and the next it was pouring down rain."

"You're saying you started the storm?" Calliope's voice cracked as she fought back disbelief.

"Yes, she is." Marina stood at the doorway with a tray of mugs. "I saw and felt it. The storm began with her."

"Remind me again, you're the earth witch, correct?" Calliope clasped her hands in front of her, leaning on her knees.

Ivy nodded, her curls cascading in front of her face. She shook them back to find Calliope's eyes boring into hers. Ivy was too stunned to look away, like a dear caught in headlights.

"You'll need to go see Helga." Calliope turned from Ivy to the rest of the group, shifting from side to side in her seat. "She'll know more."

"But we came to you," Aura protested as she landed at Calliope's feet. Ivy took note of how Aura looked up at Calliope with an admiration that one could wonder if Calliope was her own grandmother. "We trust you."

"My girl," Calliope rested her hands on either side of Aura's cheeks. "You can trust Helga by the mere fact that I trust her. I cannot help you on this matter. I can barely help myself."

"Calliope, what are you saying?" Aura's head jutted back, out of Calliope's grasp. She looked at the others, her eyes landing on Marina who also had grew up under Calliope's influence.

Marina floated around the group, handing the elder a steaming mug of tea. "You're...what are you saying?"

"I feel it in my bones. Something is coming." Calliope brought the mug to her lips, blowing on the liquid to cool it down. "You must go find Helga. She will help."

When nobody moved, Calliope gestured with her hand for them to get up and get going. "There is no time to waste. Go." The Pentacle leapt to their feet and scrambled to gather their things. "The descent up the mountain and its forest begins behind the house. Keep going, and you'll find your way, though she may find you first."

"Calliope, we can't just leave you." Aura clasped Calliope's hand. "One of us should stay back."

"Not even an option," Calliope shook her head fiercely. Ivy held back a chuckle as Calliope took her stubborn stance. It reminded Ivy of Cassie and when she refused to change her opinion or stance. "You all must go. She can give you the answers I cannot."

The Pentacle each gave her a hug before they exited the backdoor. They stared up the towering range before them and started the journey in silence. Aura and Marina led the group as they talked in hushed tones. Ella and Ivy didn't know Calliope very well, other than in the role of Cassie's grandmother. Now here she was sending them on a chase for a witch in the woods by the name of Helga. From one extreme to the next, Ivy thought to herself.

A/N

A/N

Wait, what is this? Two chapters in two days?

Why yes, I didn't make a mistake :)

I haven't been super consistent so I wanted to drop an extra chapter for y'all.

Drop a line and let me know what you think :)

Thanks again for all the votes/comments/reads.

Hope you are all doing well!