Chapter Seventeen.

Hailey's POV

I don't see the slap coming, but I definitely do feel it.

My entire left side of my face goes numb and continues to sting as Layla Santiago attempts to grab a handful of my hair, I shouldn't say attempts, because she does manage to grab a hold of my new dyed brown hair, but not for long.

She yanks on my hair and scofs loudly, "you think you're big shit because your friends are around, Hailey? You honestly believe that you're special or something?"

I don't respond.

I've never actually been in an actual one on one fight before, but this also ain't the first time I've had to defend myself. However this is the first time that I might have an upper hand, seeing how Layla isn't a big meaty buff Italian guy, it's actually pretty evened out between our weights and height.

This is gonna be easy.

I quickly bring my arm up and elbow her in the face, Santiago instantly lets go of my hair taking a few steps back.

I look in her direction as my head continues to throb from her yanking on my hair, such a typical girl thing to do.

I look off to the side and catch Angela attempting to step forward as Carmen quickly stops her, mumbling, "it's okay, she's okay, she gots it, remember who her dad is."

I smile as I see blood trickling down Layla's nose, "you know for being the bad bitch you claim you are, you hit like a twelve year old," I smile sarcastically.

Layla wipes the blood that begins to trickle onto her top lip with a single finger and then points in my direction. "You're gonna wish that you stayed home tonight," she growls as she takes off her heels.

I quickly put my hair up in a small bun so that she can no longer grab onto my hair, and wave her over as this new bravery continues to wash over me, "let's get this over with."

Layla quickly puts her hair up as well, as if I would do such a cowardly thing and pull her hair, and is instantly charging in my direction.

She goes for my bun just like I figured she would, and yanks my head down, socking me right in the face.

It definitely hurts more than the slap, but I've dealt with worse in the past.

Still hanging onto my hair, pulling me down, I go to sock her in her rib cage, hoping that she'll let go but she doesn't, so I sock the same area two more times and hear her begins to whimper with every hit she takes, yet she refuses to let go of my hair, but no biggie.

A dirty little thought crosses my mind as I continue to jab at Layla's side and I'm suddenly sad that I don't have the brass knuckles that Dion gave me as a going away gift, that definitely would've got her to let go of my hair.

Oh God, my boyfriend's mobster ways are starting to rub off on me.

Dion seemed to be a little more worried that I was moving into the city than my own boyfriend and father, hence why he bought me the pink brass knuckles, a long with a cute little pocket knife, a taser and like 12 bottles of pepper spray, stating that one could never be too careful nor to trust anyone in a new place.

Dion even tried going as far as getting me my own handgun, but I wasn't the only one who felt uncomfortable with the idea, it was a big no for Isaac's dad. Mr. Matteo assured me that I was more than welcomed to take a couple guys with me if I truly felt unsafe where I was at.

Nevertheless I completely adored the new friendship, the bond that Dion and I had now formed, I think it's safe to say that he definitely wasn't the same Dion I had first met last year, the big badass now had a soft side to him, thanks to his girlfriend of course.