Chapter 6

Today, we were dropping off my brother, Shane, at college. He was attending Florida State University which was a disappointment since we are big Florida Gators fans. But I guess he likes State instead, which is fine. It was a nice drive but a little cramped since we were fitting five people in a small car with most of Shane's stuff. Summer had gone by way too fast and it was already August. I was about to be a sophomore and Spencer would be a senior this year!

We turned right onto the street that led to campus and it was surprisingly better than I had imagined. I had never been here before but it didn't seem all that bad. As we pulled into a parking space next to his dorm, Mom said that all of us were required to help carry stuff in. That sounded exhausting. I ended up carrying about six boxes up three flights of stairs!

After we got everything into his room and after he got settled in, my family went out to dinner while he got to know his roommate. The town was not so bad either, it was kind of nice. As I was waiting for our food at the restaurant, I reached into my pocket and pulled Liam's phone number out. I know I shouldn't, but I really wanted to call him. I don't know why but I had this dream of us going to college today and me just casually calling him to talk about our days. But it was just a dream, right? I decided not to call him just yet so I shoved the piece of paper back into my pocket and started eating my food. I guess I hadn't realized that the waiter had brought it.

The next morning, my family and I began our long journey back home, leaving Shane on campus. I'll admit, it was a little sad leaving my big brother at college, knowing that I wouldn't see him until Thanksgiving. I slept most of the way home and thankfully there wasn't much noise to wake me. School was starting tomorrow and I wanted to be ready. I gathered my textbooks and everything that I needed and shoved them into my backpack, neatly of course. Tomorrow is a new day to a new world and I hope I'm ready.

I woke up about six in the morning because I was so excited. The first day of school was always my favorite. This year, Spencer would be driving me since Shane, our usual driver, was away at college. When we got to school, I quickly found Luna and Quinn and discovered that we had lockers near each other. This was already a great start to a great year. I was hoping that I would have some classes with Liam again this year and thankfully I did. I had four this time! Spanish, History, Algebra, and Computer Science. I also had three classes with Luna and one with Quinn. I had Spanish, History, and Chemistry with Luna while I only had Chemistry with Quinn. I already knew Chemistry is going to be rough just by the introduction day.

I talked to Liam a little bit in each class but mostly Computer Science. We sat near each other so that made it easy. We were almost like best friends now which made me really happy. I think I have feelings for him, but I'm still not 100% sure. But what I do know, is that my life would be empty without him.

Walking out of Computer Science, I saw a flyer on the bulletin board for the upcoming homecoming dance. I stopped Liam in the hallway before he was able to go downstairs. "Do you know if Logan is going to this?" "No, why should I care? I don't know what that guy does," "Okay, well are you gonna go, then?" I asked. "I don't know, it's not really my thing," he responded. "Well, I think you should," I said before smiling and walking away. I secretly hoped he would show up but I was going to hang out with my friends anyway so I wouldn't notice.

The annual Homecoming Dance was finally in town and my school had to move the dance outside this year due to maintenance problems in the gymnasium. Kendra and Kayla were already waiting in line at the food truck the school had provided when I arrived. I quickly joined them and made small talk for a few minutes before the rest of the group came up to us. Kendra and Kayla were Marisol's two sidekicks so they were part of our friend group. I usually love school dances but I just wasn't feeling it tonight. Everyone around me was laughing and having a good time while I was secretly wishing I was back home. Luna and Quinn were supposed to come but they had other plans.