Chapter 3

"Miss Stewart, please come to the office immediately, I repeat, Miss Stewart please report to the office," the intercom to my classroom announced. I slowly got up from my seat during biology and walked downstairs to the main office. Principal Palmer kindly welcomed me into his office and we started discussing my grade in geometry.

"Your grade is slipping and I'm afraid that if we don't find you a tutor, you won't be able to participate in the school newspaper or be able to move up with your classmates next year," Principal Palmer explained to me. "That's why I'm addressing the problem now rather than later so you can have time to bring it up."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was a pretty good student but geometry was just so difficult for me. I don't want some old tutor that doesn't even know me to tell me what to do and when to study.

"I don't want a tutor but thank you," I said to Principal Palmer. "I'm afraid you don't have a choice, Skye. I've already picked someone out for you."

"I don't want some old person taking up my afternoon time to teach me something they haven't had in years!" I exclaimed. "I know, I wouldn't want that either, so that's why I have one of your classmates tutoring you."

"One of my classmates? Who is it?" "Liam Turner, he's in your geometry class and he has the highest grade so I think he will be the best fit for the job. Don't worry, he's quiet but nice."

Liam Turner was going to tutor me? I couldn't believe my ears. I thought about what Principal Palmer said clearly not knowing that Liam and I had already met. "And he agreed to it?" I asked. "He kind of had to because I wrote him up for detention and this was his alternative." Liam Turner getting a detention? That certainly does not sound like him, more like his brother. "Does he know who he's tutoring?" I asked again thinking it would be strange if he knew it was me. "No, I didn't tell him a name, he will just find out tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" I said with surprise. "Yes, you will start tomorrow and meet in the library before school every day until you get your grade up."

"Everyday?" I asked with surprise again but this time louder. "Skye, you don't have a choice, I'm only trying to help you."

"Fine, thank you," I said kindly while walking out of his office into the dim hallway making my way back to class.

The next morning, I had almost forgotten that I was supposed to be at tutoring. I quickly brushed my teeth, threw on some clothes and headed for the school. I hope Liam is nice to me and this helps him realize that we can be friends.

I pushed open the door to the library and it was empty. There were only a few guys on the computers and one girl reading in the corner.

Ok, where's Liam? I thought to myself.

I walked over to a long table and set my books down while pulling the chair out to sit down. Liam walked into the library and asked the girl that was reading if she was here for tutoring. I giggled at his misconception which made his eyes look in my direction.
"Sorry, no, but maybe ask that girl over there," the girl said while pointing at me.
He walked over to me in disbelief. "Are you the one that needs tutoring?"

"Yeah, Liam, you don't have to rub it in."

After he realized he was going to be tutoring me, he sat down and opened his geometry book. We began to look at the current sections for our upcoming test on Wednesday.